Best low-stakes Vegas tournaments?

MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited January 18 in General Concepts
I'm heading to Vegas in a couple weeks. I'm normally a 1/2 or 1/3 cash game player, but I'll there with a good friend who isn't the biggest poker player and really prefers tournaments. So in addition to playing some cash tables, we're likely to enter a couple low-stakes (under $150) tournaments while in town.

Any recommendations on ones with good structures? I prefer a deeper stack tournament that isn't turbo-paced. Also, bonus points if the tourney is in a poker room that's enjoyable to play in. Thanks!

Comments

• CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Check Poker Atlas to see what's available the days you're there within your budget.

Bellagio and Mirage have some tournaments with good structures for about $125 most days
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,923 -
    Wynn for the win IMO, although Aria has the rep for weaker players.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Plenty of cheap $60 type daily at Harrahs, Flamingo, and the Mirage!
    Essentially, every few hours starting at 9AM.

• 1AMPOKER_1AMPOKER_ Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Play the daily tournaments at Bally's, MGM, Caesar, and Flamingo for weak players to run through.
    Play at the Orleans for bigger pools and better players.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Arnold Snyder's Poker Tournament Formula site was still active. It calculated the speed of all tournaments.

Last I played (which has been a couple years), Venetian was in general offering the slowest tournaments.
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm reading Snyder's book now and was disappointed to see the speed rankings of tourneys was no longer live.

His approach on those is helpful, at least, if I can preview the structures of the MTT's and weigh starting stacks, blinds, and level timing... Most of that I can find on PokerAtlas...
    Yes, you can calculate it all manually. Or, a project for someone with some extra time - make a few side bucks by starting up a poker tournament rating site of your own!
    There's one here that I used to use that convinced me not to play the fast dailies:
    http://www.tourneytracks.com/ter/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Kat that is an interesting tool but a little hard to figure that last 1-10 scale. Would you say that 5 is pretty average there for a $100 20 minute level non Vegas tournament with a 140 average entry?
    If you default to 5 it'll work out fine. It's a sort of a fudge factor to include things like weak fields and even stuff like whether you like the room. At some level this playing poker thing is supposed to be fun.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 161 ✭✭
    edited January 24
    MattP wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm reading Snyder's book now and was disappointed to see the speed rankings of tourneys was no longer live.

His approach on those is helpful, at least, if I can preview the structures of the MTT's and weigh starting stacks, blinds, and level timing... Most of that I can find on PokerAtlas...

If you have modest Excel skills and are willing to put in the time, it's not too hard to create a spreadsheet to do analysis on tournament structures. I have done this for several local tourneys using Synder's PTF approach. I have found it somewhat useful for preparation just to recognize where inflection points will come and how fast the blinds rise up. If you are entering a tourney with a structure that is markedly different from those you are used to, this can help you plan how to adjust.
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited January 30
    FWIW, I took a stab at this... for those curious.

I don't think I matched Snyder's formula quite right (PF scores seem too high), but the math is at least consistent, so it's helpful to see how five of the Strip MTT's compare... (unfortunately, a lot of the poker rooms don't share their structures online, but these five did). Caesars and Aria seem to be the best bet for MTTs that aren't too much of a turbo roll of the dice...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fOgumFCuWDZ14XOW1MD1YSC_E30m-qK72KGaSVQJNpg/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone is interested in helping add to this or expanding it, let me know and I'd be happy to share access. Otherwise, this can remain my own dorky waste of time...
    Anyone like to take a guess at how much of the $150 Caesar's buy-in goes to the prize pool?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ChipFluxChipFlux Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Moderation In Moderation
    I apologize to the property if that has changed, but that was the case when I stopped playing their tournaments last year. You can simply do much better than that in other rooms.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file