Playing against a maniac

KingKKuntaKingKKunta Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
Villain is a bad LAG who also calls a lot preflop and saw him calling T4s in BUT earlier vs UTG raise. He seems like a maniac so I am trying to get max value here. This is a spot where I don't feel comfortable and doubt my own game.

Hero is in the BB with :AD: :9H:

UTG folds
Villain (138BB) raises to 3BB
CO folds
BUT folds
SB folds
Hero (133BB) calls

Flop(6.5BB)
:7D: :9S: :5H:
Hero checks
Villain bets 6BB
Hero raises to 15BB
Villain calls

Turn(36.5BB)
:TD:
Hero checks
Villain bets 35BB
Hero calls

River(106.5BB)
:7S:
Hero checks
Villain bets 51BB
Hero calls

I did my analysis of this hand and have doubts about the check-raising size and the river call, maybe even the turn call. I can't see if they are bad or good. How do you play in this situations?

Comments

• rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
    against a maniac i just fold out until i feel like i know i have him beat. can be calling with so many rags that boards like this can be monsters
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 86 ✭✭
    The problem with maniacs is they can pick up hands too. I'd wait to get some sort of premium and connect with the flop before I raise him.

Another situation I like is hitting a paired flop in any way (2pair+,open enders, flush draws) because 9 out of 10 maniacs are gonna see a paired flop as a good moment to spew. Calling works but I'd generally just shove.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    You played your hand face up too. Even bad lags know they are playing loose. They want/need info so when you raised him on the flop everyone knew you had at least a good 9. Then you check call turn, further confirming you have 1pr. Lag is loving life... now if he beats A9 he knows he will get paid. A good LAG would be elated and out to stack you. Lags thrive on information. They play as they do in order to narrow your range a lot and to force you into situations where you have too little info on his hand and he knows your hand. You make mistakes and he plays perfect... Also your hand is a bluff catcher. No reason to raise flop or any streets unless you improve. Check call all the way
  • KingKKuntaKingKKunta Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    @Travis My issue is that I don't think he is a GOOD LAG. He is playing microstakes and as I said in the initial post, calling hands like T5s (not 3betting as a bluff). So I rarely assume he actually thinks about my range, it looks like a problem of understanding how he thinks about the hand - is he actually putting me on a 9 here and trying to get value knowing I will bluff catch?

Just looking at the hand I feel it was played bad but I'm trying to see how this exact situation is usually played, what credit you give to a Villain like this? How you tackle it?
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 271 ✭✭
    The standard play against a LAG would be check/call flop and check/fold turn since there are few good river cards for you.
    You tackle it by slowplaying your strong hands and let him barrel with his air.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    @KingKKunta essentially I told you how I play the situation with check calls or sometimes as you did xr when I have tptk. But if called I go into bluff catch mode. The one mistake I have seen even good maniacs make is with bet sizing. Usually if you pay attention you will be able to identify by their bet sizes and what shows down when they have 2pr+ when they have 1 or and when they are bluffing.
    The biggest thing is remembering maniacs and calling stations are not the same. Though they do have similarities.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file