How was my play in this hand?

gareth_cook_4gareth_cook_4 Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

Wanted to give this a try and post my first hand. There are no specific player tendencies in this instance...I'm looking mainly to check how I played this hand from UTG.

CLICK FOR HAND REPLAY HERE

75/150 Blinds, 4,455 effective stack, I am UTG with about 10,000.

Questions:
1) Opening KQo from UTG with about 65 BBs - too loose?
2) With 3 behind to play, was checking first on the flop to this dynamic board a good play?
3) Based on my remaining stack size, was this the right size check-raise? Should I have shoved instead? Was this too much if I was trying to extract value or just thin the field to 1 player?

Side info: Seat 9 had 99 and seats 2 and 3 both had AQo

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing back!

Answers

• Kujo2626Kujo2626 Chicago Red Chipper Posts: 1
    KQo was a little loose to open UTG with 64bb, but I think your a play after was good. I think you have to check raise that flop, and the amount was ok. Could have shoved as well.
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited January 23
    1. Based on your stack size, I probably would fold UTG with KQo - I don't hate your line with it, but UTG that's a little loose for less than 100BB. I think its fine to complete the flat from the LJ getting 5:1 on your money there.

2. I think this flop needs a bet. There a lot of worse hands that can call that hit the V's ranges. Hands like AK, AQ, AJ could be calling a 3B from later position preflop and continue here. As played, I think you leave a street of value behind by allowing the flush draws a free card.

3. As played here was ok. What did you want to accomplish with your raise? Ideally, I think you want V to continue to get another street of value, but it's not unreasonable to expect V to shove off of your re-raise with 1/3 of V's stack already in there.

I'd consider tightening up preflop with KQo in tourneys unless you find yourself with >10BB's - you hit a nice flop, but since we know (or at least assume we weren't lied to) what V's were holding, you were in 4th place to start the hand, not an ideal way to open UTG.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Just a note, you said that effective stack was 4555, that was not the case. The smallest stack involved was 4555 but there was one player involved that had you covered so you were 10k effective stack not 4555. With the draws on the board I do like the post flop line
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with opening KQo in this situation but it would be at the bottom of my unsuited opening range. I'm a bit torn about calling the 3bet. Normally I would say calling a 3bet OOP is a suckers bet especially with a hand that is crushed by a 3betting range but given the cold caller and that I'm expecting seat 9 to call almost 100% of the time you're getting great odds so I don't love it but I don't hate it either.

Post flop this is definitely a check. You have the board in a choke hold. You block the sets and AK/AQ and given the preflop action there's not many flush draws out there except maybe AcQc or AcJc. If you bet you're hoping to get action from AA or AK both of which would likely bet anyway.

If your going to raise I prefer a shove. The range they call with isn't going to change whether you min raise or shove so go for the max. This also puts pressure on seat 9 who has the most flush draws in his range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file