what's the best way to play this hand

ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
Hey everyone, I am confused how to play a hand, so I wanna ask for help about it. Thank you so much!
It's 1-2 NL game.
I raised to $10 from MP with :Ah :Th .
SB called.
The flop is
:3h :Qh :3s
He checked, I bet 15, he called
I bet, bc I think I have range advantage, and I would like to C-bet.
The turn is :3d
He checked again, I bet 45, he called.
I was thinking he definitely doesn't have 3 or Q
First question:
Should I bet on the turn? I was trying to pretend I got bigger house.

The river is
:5h
He checked, I checked
I got flush now, but triple 3 on the board. Any pair can bet me, And I have showdown value hand on the river.
I know the logical need to be consistent, if I pretend to get high pair, I still need to bet on the river. However, I was struggling how to play that bc my hands changed on the river.
Or I have to think if I couldn't bet small full house so I need to keep betting on the river?
I do appreciate your help!

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    You say you think villain doesn't have a Qx before or after the turn action, can't really tell from the way you structured your post. Either way: why? I agree he very likely doesn't have a 3, and if so probably only :Ac :3c, but excluding KQ from his range would be a mistake imo.
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    I agree with LeChiffre I see no reason to exclude Qx from his range. Like you said you have range advantage so why would you expect V to raise Qx when you still have overpairs in your range?

On the flop I like the bet I think you can get some better hands to fold like small pocket pairs and maybe AJ or AK that he didn't 3bet. You can also get called by some worse flush draws. On the turn I don't really like the bet. Maybe we can get some underpairs to fold that called flop but I'm not sure how many and I believe a lot of his range is still Qx.
  • DeadliftsDeadlifts Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Pending on what the typical raise sizes were at this table, you can even consider bumping this open up a bit perhaps to say $12-13ish. SB completed, so he can definitely have a queen in his calling range pre. As far as a 3 goes, yeah I can get on board with taking that out. Ap OTT, totally fine with the second barrel here. OTR though, this is a clear value bet imo. There are so few combos that crush us, I would look to bet 1.5x pot here.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,632 -
    I would think with this action the SB is pretty heavy in pocket pairs, I'm not sure launching off for 1.5x is quite the thing here. The main thing skewing SB away from the combos that beat us is that the OP posted this after checking back river.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like this honesty:
    and I would like to C-bet
    but this exact hand is best served as a check here.

Or a check on the turn if you simply must bet.
  • ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    I really like this honesty:
    and I would like to C-bet
    but this exact hand is best served as a check here.

Or a check on the turn if you simply must bet.

Thank you so much. @persuadeo
    However, I am confused why I shouldn't C-bet on this flop.
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    I think its a better check on the flop because not only are you potentially drawing dead, you can extract information from your opponent more easily with a check in this situation. If I checked and saw the 3 on the turn I'd basically give up on my hand; nothing is made, any pocket pair beats you (thats 105 combos), any Q/x beats you (that's alot of combos), and then the 3 itself beats you (still quite a few combos), all while youre still drawing.
    @blindraise that is a good start but not the answer. Those are components of some of the down sides however.
    @Erinning I'm not going into it here as it is an advanced concept but you can start by realizing not all flushes and flush cards are equivalents, nor is it mandatory to bet 100% of range, even in the most favorable circumstance.
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited January 28
    @persuadeo
    So if those are components to the downside whats the upside? How does one take their poker logic to the next level from there?
    edited January 28
    blindraise wrote: »
    @persuadeo
    So if those are components to the downside whats the upside? How does one take their poker logic to the next level from there?

I gave Erinning some thoughts to run with on this. The key to nearly all decisions in poker is how combinations end up performing later in the hand and how that can either increase or decrease EV. Auto betting all nut flush draws is one way to play predictably and lose EV. The question here is, why is this particular one a marginal nut flush to bet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file