Hero $ 50.00 Villain $ 66.00 Tight Reg Villain -
HUD labels villain as "one and done" and "folds too early" plays 25% of hands

Hero is in HJ Villain is UTG2

Hero has :6C: :6H:
PREFLOP

Villain min-raises to $ 1.00
Hero Calls
BB Calls

Should I raise? My typical thought process is to "punish limpers and min-raisers." I assume they are iffy about their hand and I want to make them pay more to play it.

FLOP

:8s :5d :5H:

Villain bet 1/2 pot
Hero calls
BB Folds

Turn :5S:

At this point, my only concern is an overpair an 8 or another 5. I figure that's a pretty small part of his range. From his position, a 5 is not even in his preflop range and the 8 is unlikely. So just overpairs. I think I've got him beat.

Villain bet $ 2.99 (1/2 pot)
Hero Calls (I don't think he has it.)

River :Js

This card isn't my favorite card, but I'm not real worried about.

Villain Checks

I was tempted to throw out a big bet, but figured the only thing he would call me with would be his strongest hands - and they would crush me. I wouldn't gain anything from the raise, unless he folded to my second best hand.

Hero Checks

Did I play this correctly?

He had .... I'll tell you later.

Is this a mistake?

Following the 70% rule from The One Percent series, how should i have evaluated this hand?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,269 -
    As the preflop defender any considerations from the 1% apply to calling frequency. Depending on what your calling range preflop is, my guess is you should be calling flop and turn.

Whether you should bet the end depends on how you have your opponent ranged.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Prefop, no I think a flat is fine. Against EP open raise which are going to normally have a tighter range, 3 betting 66 with 4 players behind isn't the best spot IMO.

Postflop you're making some pretty big assumptions about his range. A 5 is unlikely, but to say its out of his range is iffy. A5s could certainly be there (and I am going to raise that 6 handed even in EP). Granted, only 1 combo there. 54s, 56s, etc. Some people will open raise these hands. Perhaps you're applying your ranges on to your villain? If he's playing 25%, its not impossible.

However, 8... A8, 78, 89, he can have more 8s. It is not wrong to say that his range has more NOT 8s in it, but don't completely discount it.

I don't hate the check there. I don't think a ton of worse hands are going to call you. But I do think you're ahead, unless he does have an 8 and is now scared of the Jack for some reason.
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    What is Hero's image at the table? Do you have the HUD numbers?

If we've looked aggro since playing with V, he may decide to check/raise river and let us stab/bluff. It's also possible he has two overs, and now he's worried he loses to a flush and any pair.

Overpairs are the obvious concern. A5s is certainly in his range, but I'm discounting that since we're looking at three of them. We lose to 77+. All of which are making it to the river. I don't see too many suited connectors in his range. Lots of overcards and PP.

I'm leaning towards checking this back. If he has two overcards, he likely folds to a bet. If we bet and he raises us, we fold. I'm not putting him on a flush draw, so getting value from a flush seems unlikely. We have plenty of PP in our range, so V (and a seemingly fit-or-fold V at that) betting the turn doesn't make sense for a FD. Checking seems like the best option. We have decent SDV.
  • ryon341ryon341 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Make a note that he min-raised with 87s from UTG2, and adjust his ranges accordingly. Fit-or-fold still applies to him. Unlucky result. But had we bet this river repping a J, I'm not sure we could get him to fold. How many Js do we get to this river with? KJs, QJs, JTs, and only spade draws.

I'm not overly concerned about the result, but I will make a note about this player. I generally find min-raisers are weak players and I can find another spot to get my money back.

Hero's image is a good question... HUD says I play 20-22% of hands, 3bet about 4-5%. Fold too early, and am aggressive post flop about 35-40% of the time - from all positions. The summary says I'm a Tight - Regular player.
    Are those your lifetime numbers? I just want our numbers as it relates to V. Sometimes we cardrack and our numbers makes us look loose and aggressive. If that’s all a V has ever seen from us, we should keep that in mind.

But since we can determine this V is a weaker player, he may not be taking that into his decision making. He seems like he plays his cards face up.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The min raise from that position is probably the closest thing to "optimal" that you can do preflop.

But let's go back to calling other players weak. I'm especially riveted by that A9o from the blinds hand where we're up against a "bad LAG" and immediately get lost.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    If you raise or bet river, what worse hands call and better hands fold? Zero. So you would be turning your hand into a bluff. Which based on what your hand is may not be a bad thing
    @Brews_and_Cards those are not "lifetime" numbers... they are the current table. But they are very consistent with what I normally see. My numbers reset on every new table I go to and, by the time I get to 100 hands, these are the numbers.

My numbers have been very consistent.
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
    played hand well imo. raising pre no bueno...x'ing riv best line. Lost the minimum = win :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file