ITM AKo how did I play?

JeremyMcAllisterJeremyMcAllister Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
Playing a poker tournament online to get some practice in. It was a $4 tournament. 950 people and down to final 70. 30 more people until next payout level.

8 players at the table. Blinds 1000,2000 175 ante
Folded to Hero in MP with 46 BB stack. AsKd. Raise 2.5bb to $5000. BB calls with 60 BB stacks
This point I see BB range as 99+, and most Broadway's.
Flop: Ac,Kc,Tc
Checks to me and I bet $8000 into 12400 pot. V calls
Turn: 9s
Check to me, I fire again for 16000 into 28400.
V calls.
River:7h
V bets 20000
Hero calls
Villain takes it down with 4c5c for the flush.
Thinking about it I feel like I should have raised more preflop to take Into account the ante amount? Doing this may have pushed a small suited connector off their hand but also want some callers like that with AKo to try and get some more money... Confused as to what I should have done here.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,135 -
    edited January 26
    I think your opening raise size is fine. It's true that with antes our opponents are getting a better price on a call, but the thing nobody ever talks about is by raising more we put more out there to be attacked by a 3-bet. At your stack depth 2.5x is about as big as you want to go pre.

The only change in your line I'd take is betting smaller postflop. This is a puzzling board in the sense that usually a three-flush broadway is a "have it or don't have it" board, but here you manage to have quite a lot of it without being anywhere close to the nuts, AND with a near-nut redraw.

Against a very specific opponent type you can think about folding the end, but that's going to be rare, particularly since at this level you'll see many villains take this line with a busted 1-card flush draw.

One note about V's range: you can take out the top of it since that would presumably 3-bet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • JeremyMcAllisterJeremyMcAllister Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Yeah I was surprised honestly because it was way outside my range that I assigned them. They also didn't play how I expected them too hitting the flush off the flop, playing more toward a flush or straight draw or top pair straight draw if I had to assume
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,135 -
    Yeah I was surprised honestly because it was way outside my range that I assigned them. They also didn't play how I expected them too hitting the flush off the flop, playing more toward a flush or straight draw or top pair straight draw if I had to assume

Yup you'd think someone with such a vulnerable hand would have shown earlier aggression.

Incidentally, there's been a trend over the last few years for big blind defenses to get wider, which in fact lines up with theory, so when you do these kinds of analyses you might want to broaden your assumption there.
    Moderation In Moderation
    That's a good point. With defending more in BB added to the fact that the antes have them better pot odds I can now see that I should probably widen the starting range for potential hands
  • ShebazJenkinsShebazJenkins Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    First off, I think your line is actually pretty good. There are a ton of drawy hands that are calling through. AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ with Qc or Jc all are calling or possibly raising. (The only argument against that part of range is why we don't hear from them earlier than the river.) However, a donk bluff on the river is certainly in range.

Interestingly, all those hands above are in your range too and he should be terrified of them. I actually can't include his baby flush just calling as played because its so vulnerable. So as played, you just have to call and pay it off.
    That's what was running through my mind too. I thought my range showed a lot of possibilities for top pairs and flush draws etc. I guess the biggest thing is I didn't see his baby flush in his range at all and I think it is just one of those times I get caught.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No the line is definitely not good. Sizing post is uncalculated. Position is not used.
  • ShebazJenkinsShebazJenkins Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    No the line is definitely not good. Sizing post is uncalculated. Position is not used.

Could you elaborate further? This doesn't help OP much. I think sizing is fine , he has to make pair with spade pay or he is giving up tons of equity and only position move is to check turn which I think is a terrible play.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's enough help to know he needs to look at sizing and using position.
    I think sizing is fine , he has to make pair with spade pay or he is giving up tons of equity and only position move is to check turn which I think is a terrible play.

This is a primitive, binary way of thinking, reflected in your word "terrible."

For example, just consider just how much of his stack he lost here, and what range he manipulated his opponent to show up with. In fact, what if opponent played even better and jammed turn? Probably gets all of OP's stack, with OP never realizing how devalued his hand is and how little equity it retains. OP has all of his sets, straights and flushes and nut blockers to put into a polarizing sizing - far more important to realize than "making a spade pay" which is only a part of villain's range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file