Deep run deep stack tourney

blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 183 ✭✭
edited January 26 in Tournament Poker Hands
$300 buy in, 20,000 starting chips, 30 minute levels, antes introduced @ level 4, 75 runners, 1st place $7k, 10th place $596

Rebought @ level 4 so I'm feeling a need to play for 1st

Level 11; 1500/3000 400 ante

Hero(82k) is in BB with :AD::QS:
folds to CO(150k) raises to 12k
folds to Hero- flats

Flop(32k): :QD::5H::8H:

Hero bets 25k
Villain shoves

I played with villain in the earlier levels of the tournament, he was a short stack the majority of the time and was playing a shove-or-fold preflop game. We broke tables @ level 8 and he reseated at my table with a monster stack so I'm not too sure what happened but he was playing very tight after reseating.

This is my first run in a deep-stack tourney, I was doing great and even chip leader at one point until about level 6-7ish when the whole dynamic changed. You've got all these deep stacks raising 6-7xbb, all these short stacks shoving, it just turned into a form of poker warfare I've never experienced before.

My main question is when facing a 12k raise PF in the BB are you flatting or shoving at this point in the tourney?

And due to the line I took, how is the flop bet sizing? I was trying to charge in case of flush draw/overcards, and get value for any Q/x hands.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,140 -
    Shove pre. As played with an SPR just over 2, you're going with the hand. I tend to bet a bit smaller on the flop. Call the shove, obviously.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 183 ✭✭
    edited January 27
    Yeah I realized shortly after the flop turned over I'm in a small SPR situation so why not just shove PF, but it was too late.

I called the shove obviously and he turned over :8S::8C:

No queen to save me, walked away in 18th place with another lesson learned.

I faced situations that troubled me earlier as well,

Facing all-ins with the following:
    :JC::JS:, :KH::TH:, and :TH::TD:

I folded all 3 hands, was thankful to fold the pocket jacks after seeing the run-out but wasnt too sure about the other two hands. Pocket tens were against a maniac and the King Ten was against a super tag. Are you folding these hands in late stages of a tourney when facing a decision for the majority of your stack?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,140 -
    Depends a lot of position (mine, the opener's), the precise stack depth and V's tendencies. Obviously is always better if we can be the shover and not the caller.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file