How to stay motivated?

AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hey everyone,

I’m a married guy with a almost two year old. I have a full time career but I have this ambition of having poker become a decent side income that maybe pays a bill here and there or allows me and my family to take a trip.

I have a fairly set and consistent study schedule, but finding time where I can be playing my A game is few and far between. And in those sessions, I sometimes find myself, I wouldn’t say losing interest, but becoming bored and turning into a robot.

My question is in the title, what are some ways you stay motivated through a play session? I don’t have the luxury of saying I’ll just pick it back up tomorrow, because I never truly know when I can sit down for at least two hours of play time. I just want to be able to take advantage of every minute I have when I’m able to play.

Thank you in advance!

-Arnie

Best Answer

Answers

• AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I should clarify that I play online 6-max Micro stakes.
  • ZaiemZaiem Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    The way I've been able to overcome my lack of motivation is to aggressively look for leaks in my game, situations I'm not comfortable with, or concepts that are new to me that I haven't mastered. Chasing improvement and learning things makes me excited to apply them, and that is what keeps things interesting to me.
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Maybe you should try out other formats (if you got the time). Try tournaments, sit and go's...
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 297 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how many tables you play. But the more tables you add, seems natural the more robotic and detached your play becomes. You're making plays, but you're not battling.

My experience is that poker is really, really boring when I'm not engaged in the play of the hands I'm no longer in.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,919 -
    persuadeo wrote: »
    I've never understood this desire to trick oneself that poker players have. If you are not motivated to do something, why would you do it?

When I read Tommy Angelo's idea that if you don't want to play today then don't play, I felt simultaneously stupid and liberated.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I suppose “motivated” may not be the word I want to use. I’m definitely motivated to play. I think what I really needed was an attitude check. I’ve been in a little funk lately when it comes to actually playing, and reading the “you get to play” really set me straight.

Thanks everyone!
  • carl_sebastiancarl_sebastian Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited February 4
    It seams you have more important stuff to do than playing cards, sure you can still do it for fun but you will gain more financially by focusing on other areas.

I personally made the desicion to simply take a break from poker and once i started playing again it was a lot more fun (only played for a short time).
  • The_Juic3The_Juic3 Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I have struggled to play online myself, I tend to have to take more frequent breaks when playing online because I disengage. Perhaps that is something you could implement
  • JohnBrownJohnBrown Red Chipper Posts: 1 ✭✭
    In such case, the best thing would be to make a longer break. It should help you to take a rest and return.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file