Podcast with Red Chipper Travis M

Hey all:

I wanted to draw your attention to the latest podcast episode with Red Chip member and forum contributor Travis M:

https://redchippoker.com/podcast/

I regard the podcast as the flagship of our social media presence, and as with all our products we're always interested in feedback and ideas for future directions.

Thanks ~ Kat
Moderation In Moderation
Tagged:

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Took the night off from playing because I was so tired after work. So I watched some streams, studied some, and listened to the podcast.

I enjoyed it. It felt like I was having a beer with Travis and listening to his poker life story. His story of needing to make rent with his buy-in made my stomach turn knots.

But he made some great points about getting used to bet sizes at higher stakes. I’ve played poker off and on for years. But I have only played micros online and casual cash games with 6-8 people for $20-40. A month ago, I was invited to go to Foxwoods with a friend. He was going to see a show and figured I’d like to play poker. I went with the intent to sit down with $400 at a 1/2 table and see how things went. Well, on the drive down, I started playing hypothetical poker in my head and the bet sizes started to make me nervous. When I got to the card room and saw people with massive stacks in front of them, I couldn’t get over it. I could lose the money and still live easy. But the thought of losing $400 was so alien to me. I ended up never sitting down and drank beers at the bar waiting on my friend to get out of the show.

It’s on my list of things to get over this year. I want to play more live poker and become comfortable sitting down with that kind of money in front of me.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,849 -
    It's easier said than done, but at some point it helps to view the chips as little disks of clay instead of sandwiches and heating bill payments.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RikyRicardoRikyRicardo Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    What were the two books he referenced?
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    He mentioned this Angel Largay's book on low-limit NL cash games, which is a good value as an $8 Kindle purchase. I grabbed it and so far found it a good read with some unconventional takes... Worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKRXKI6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Y0DuCb9C3JKKG
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    @RikyRicardo Angel Largay A Complete Course In No Limit Holdem, Though a little dates it is specific to playing 1/2 and 1/3 and a lot of 2/5 games as opposed to alot of books which are so theoretical or optimized that they are difficult to put into action at low stakes and still have fun and make money lol.
    After that though it wasnt the book I specifically read, James Sweenys (yes our Split Suit) Full Ring Poker gives a great overview and applications to many key concepts drawn from much more tedious and difficult books to read. The other big thing for me was an app called Instapoker, but I am not sure if it is still up and working. I believe the WPT poker trainer app is very similar, You purchase hand packs about specific topics by various pros. For me i ended up purchasing about 20 hand packs so have nearly 1000 hands to review and practice , presented by different successful pros so I also learned differing strategies at the same time

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file