learning equity / vs ranges

ryon341ryon341 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
I'm using the equilab trainer tool to practice estimating EV vs ranges. At present, I'm just taking my "best guess" for the EV. Is there a formula or some kind of teaching aid for this? The best guess method doesn't seem to be working real well for me.

Should I be counting outs and estimating pot odds to compare to a range? I know this is critically important because I can see how far off I am on most of my guesses.

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    It seems like you're trying to learn two distinct concepts simultaneously. The math behind the game needs to be firmly understood before we start considering how a play is + - or 0 EV vs. an opponents range long term.

Have you considered enrolling in CORE? This helped me a lot. If you do the program conscientiously as its creators intended it (in order, no skipping), you will improve. It would be hard not to.

It is going to start you off by getting you a firm grasp of the math. Then it's going to go into ranges. Then it's going to talk about preflop, then postflop, then a last section of cognition. It is worth the money. It's broken up into 2 levels, the first of which gets you the basics and primes you to absorb more in the second. (There is a third level where lessons are applied to HH as well).

I would suggest giving it a shot.
  • ryon341ryon341 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    I'm actually going through core. I'm at the section where Sweeney is teaching EV. The tutorial mentions using Equilab's practice tool. That's what I am trying to do. I'm just not quite grasping how to calculate how to determine EV on the fly.

Perhaps, its just "logical guessing" until you get a feel for it.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    If calculating EV on the spot was easy, poker would be insanely profitable.
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Do you mean equity or EV? While you need to know the equity to calculate the EV they are two different things.

One way to help estimate your equity is the 4/2 rule. If you're on a draw take the number of outs you have and multiply it by 4 if you're on the flop or 2 if you're on the turn.
    Thanks, @Zero Cool . I know the 4/2 rule. I'm just trying figure out how to best learn how to calculate my equity vs. opponents range. I don't think 4/2 gives me enough information, unless I'm not applying it correctly.

For example, if I think the opponents range is

66+,A8s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+

and I am holding :As :10s

I know that Equilab calculates my equity at 46%. I just don't know what to look for on the fly to make such an estimation. Perhaps, there is no answer to the question. Perhaps, its just experience in these situations. But if there is a method I am missing, I'd like to work on it.

@LeChiffre If I thought poker was supposed to be easy, I would have given up a year ago.

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't calculate EV on the fly except in the most absolutely simple situations.

This is what matters: Your HHs in aggregate lack strategic understanding, not sharper poker math.
    @persuadeo What is HHs? ( I know should know these acronyms) I don't understand your comment. My opponents, i would assume, are probably a lot like me - they lack strategic understanding AND poker math skills.

For what it's worth, since I started RCP a few weeks ago, I've only had a couple losing days and I've won more than I've lost. It's nice to finally stop the bleeding.

(Over half way through Core and still grinding!)
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news.

Not a fancy acronym, just means "hand histories."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file