BB 3-Bet Calling Range?

rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
What is the bottom of your 3bet calling ranges? I suspect if 9's are there they're damn near the bottom. But i've ran into this situation a couple times recently and wondering how often, if ever any of you are calling something like this.

iPoker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 128.2 BB (VPIP: 23.30, PFR: 13.40, 3Bet Preflop: 7.98, Hands: 496)
BTN: 223.1 BB (VPIP: 26.32, PFR: 19.30, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 57)
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 8.70, PFR: 8.70, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
Hero (BB): 120.6 BB
UTG: 29.9 BB (VPIP: 51.38, PFR: 11.01, 3Bet Preflop: 1.92, Hands: 110)
MP: 157.3 BB (VPIP: 22.37, PFR: 17.77, 3Bet Preflop: 7.20, Hands: 11,819)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:club: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3.5 BB, SB raises to 11.2 BB, fold, BTN calls 7.7 BB

Flop: (23.4 BB, 2 players) J:heart: 3:spade: 8:heart:
SB bets 19.2 BB, BTN calls 19.2 BB

Turn: (61.8 BB, 2 players) K:club:
SB bets 69.6 BB, fold

SB wins 128 BB
Tagged:

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    What is the difference between 22 and 99 in this spot?
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Not a whole lot but one is a decent pair the other is not.

22 has zero chance of being an overpair on the flop, 99's ~16%

Don't get me wrong im folding this basically everytime (like i did here) just curious if people play these medium pairs here at all.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    OK, but you don't need your pocket pair to become an overpair if you can setmine profitably right? Wouldn't you say that you can setmine with 22 in this spot?
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    The fact that the 3-bet came from the SB which will have the tightest 3-bet range and that the SB also happens to be the tightest player at the table is a bigger factor in your decision then your exact hand. Sometimes I will continue with medium pairs either as a call or a 4-bet but never in this situation.
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I like Split Suit's 25x rule for setmining. You're going to miss the flop 88% of the time and fold to a flop bet more often than not. Especially in a three way pot. So we need to make the most of the times we do flop a set. In your example, we have to call a 3b and put in 10BB, but effective stacks are only 100BB. That fails the 25x standard right there. But we also have another player, with a very high 3b number, to act behind us who could 4b.

https://splitsuit.com/small-pocket-pair-strategy
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    appreciate the link, will read through it.
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Splits 25x rule states 25 times the open. It may or may not apply to the 3b and there are many factors to also consider. We will in IP v SB for example... Also, the BUs open is quite large but the SB's 3b is fairly small for that position. Some plyrs 3b small to keep people in and some because they have marginal hands... we get about 30% pot odds if BU calls and 35% if not so still a true set mine IMO....Probably a fold unless we have larger hand samples/solid player reads..
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multipliers are fair but not really the most specific way to think about it. You only need to think about all the times you made a set and got little out of it, as a demonstration.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭
    You are asking the wrong question because on 120bb you don't need to have a call 3B range.

Instead, ask what hands should I cold 4B?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file