Pocket J's against a strange villian in 3bet pot w/ pair of Aces on the flop

rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
Should i just be folding to this flop assuming villian has a A? Or maybe just calling it down w SDV?

He had been 3 betting super light (as you can see from the result). But after taking a stab at raising the flop, assuming dude would fold most hands without an A, i thought he likely had one once betting out on the turn.
However, against this particular opponent (who was very needle-y, loved showing bluffs, and in general a bit reckless, i was verry close to calling, especially considering the price.

Is something like that ever advised here? I know with two Aces on the board its less likely villian has one, but in a 3bet pot i feel like those odds go up.

dunno. This was a tough one for me.

iPoker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 143.4 BB (VPIP: 22.39, PFR: 17.78, 3Bet Preflop: 7.15, Hands: 11,975)
SB: 129.1 BB (VPIP: 44.33, PFR: 34.02, 3Bet Preflop: 6.06, Hands: 104)
BB: 47.7 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 12.16, 3Bet Preflop: 11.76, Hands: 77)
Hero (UTG): 288.2 BB
MP: 118 BB (VPIP: 18.40, PFR: 15.20, 3Bet Preflop: 1.15, Hands: 255)
CO: 287.4 BB (VPIP: 41.53, PFR: 31.45, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 252)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:spade: J:club:

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, CO raises to 15 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 12 BB

Flop: (31.5 BB, 2 players) A:heart: 7:heart: A:spade:

Hero checks, CO bets 24 BB, Hero raises to 50 BB, CO calls 26 BB

Turn: (131.5 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:
Hero checks, CO bets 26.5 BB, fold

CO mucks 2:club: 2:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Twos)

CO wins 150.7 BB

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,142 -
    You say the purpose of the raise is to fold out all hands not containing an A. Why is that your goal here?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    the raise was more for information really. dude was c-betting very light. I just expected he would fold if he didn't have an ace, and figured he would continue with one. But he could very well continue with KK, QQ, heart draws, etc.

The turn bet is really what made it difficult. I kind of expected a check after raising the flop, but he bets (1/5 pot) making me feel like he really wanted a call.

I was also a little tilted at the time (this player was really throwing the table dynamic) and after examining the board a bit more post hand, i had more equity than i thought at the time, and calling the turn now seems like a no-brainer.

We were also fairly deep stacked, pot was getting large, and I didn't want to throw away my stacks that i had just built up.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,142 -
    Okay, let's look at this "raising for information" issue. If he folds, the information you get is that you likely lost value on your hand. If V 3-bets I'm guessing you'll interpret that info as "he has the A," which is probably true, but a somewhat expensive way of finding out. If he calls, you learn what?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    rickmf wrote: »
    the raise was more for information really.

I want you to take one of your hands and slap the back of it with the other and say "Bad rickmf, bad." :) How'd that information raise work out for ya?
    rickmf wrote: »
    Should i just be folding to this flop assuming villian has a A?

I know with two Aces on the board its less likely villian has one, but in a 3bet pot i feel like those odds go up.

Not when V has a 25% 3-bet range. Did you consider a 4-bet? Against this villain this should have been an easy call down postflop. Yes he will occasionally have an A but he has shown hes willing to bet with a lot of hands.
    Makes sense. I did think about a 4-bet, and even thought about jamming if he raised again, but I had seen Villian turn up some good cards too and didn't want to get 280+bb stacked off with JJ.

Even with a wide 3-bet range i fiure shitty aces make up a good portion of it.

Do you guys consider this hand SDV, and would call this down all the way?

Say I just called the flop, what about a large pot sized bet on the turn, or a river jam? I fully expected this dude to triple barrel.
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    JJ definitely has SDV. And for the price he gave us on the Turn, I'm seeing a river too. We know he's willing to shove his bluffs, so we have to be prepared to call on the river.

Against a V who we've seen show a wide range and act aggro, you should be more inclined to call his barrels with value hands like JJ. If he has Ax, so be it. Fish get lucky, too. But he has a lot more air than Ax.

Also, aggro fish will put their chips in the middle for you. No need to raise them and let them off easy by allowing them to fold their air.
    Good points. I had just won a big pot from villian a few hands earlier (he folded a big one to my river bet) and this could easily have been him being tilted and trying to bully.

Will have a better idea of what to do next time this happens, which it surely will.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file