Played My First Live Game (MTT) Had Some Questions Come Up

dukeroyaldukeroyal Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hey so as I mentioned above. I played my first live game the other day. It was intimidating but also eye-opening, seeing how wild, loose and recreational everyone was. But after contemplating a bit after playing I've had some questions come up.

I would say most people were open raising a range of 55+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, K9s+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s,87s,76s, AJo+, KQo and some I would say were much wider. There was a lot of limping and if I raised you could maybe get a couple folds but frequently see a lot of callers, there was not a lot of Fold Equity. There were not many very aggressive players mostly single raises and calls or just limping.

I struggle with categorizing this type of play whether its LAG or Loose Passive. So my first question is does this fall under a category? And whatever the category, what is the best style to play against it?

I recently started reading Harrington on Hold 'em and in it, he talks about normally the best style of play is the opposite of your opponents. What is this opposite of this style? Go fairly tight and aggressive?

If going to a TAG style of play is the best option then this brings up another question. For some reason, I haven't done much in the way of calculating pot odds in standard open raised pots. So here was my thought process.

Villain has this range 55+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, K9s+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s,87s,76s, AJo+, KQo
You face a 3x raise.
The pot is now 4.5 bb including blinds.
You have 1.5/1 pot odds so you need 40% equity, not including any implied odds.
So if this is true then it is profitable to call with any two broadways cards. So how is going to a TAG style of play profitable when you should instead be calling with any two broadway cards?

Help me organize my thoughts here! Still trying to wrap my head around everything!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file