I have invented a new pokergame NLP8

carl_sebastiancarl_sebastian Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Come Say Hello
Not sure how to publish this, it's a new no-limit game where you select 8 cards out of 11 for a hand.

The rules i came up with for ranking hands are a bit complex and i am still looking for ways to simplify them. Currently i am playing it with people i know and most of them like it.

If you have any ideas for this you can reply to this thread or contact me via kik (same username).
Tagged:

Comments

• JMCollinsJMCollins Los AngelesRed Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    You got to give us a bit more to work with. You may as well have posted, "I had a dream last night, told some people, what do you think?"
  • carl_sebastiancarl_sebastian Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I decided to publish it here, i am currently testing 2 versions of poker8

https://docdro.id/6S0m2d2

Not sure if you should get points for "divided 6-straight & 5 of the same color", it increases the frequency of 5 and 6 point hands (5 get's bigger increase), without that 6 point hands might be more common than 5 point hands.

Earlier version https://docdro.id/DYHACIy
    JMCollins wrote: »
    You got to give us a bit more to work with.
    Instead of ranking hands directly from best to worst i have a scoring system where a hand can get between 0 and 13 points.

As you see if you grab the PDF the scoring system is a bit complex and maybe a simpler scoring system would be better even if it would make the game less interesting and result in there being more 7 point hands than 6 point hands.

In this game straight = all 8 cards connected.

Straights shorter than 6 can wrap around and 2 can be 15 for all straights longer than 2. Examples of valid straights are

89TJQKA2
    AAAA2345
    99TTJJQQ

I decided to introduce the concept "divided straight" which you can get points for if you have 4 pairs or at least 5 of one color. Examples of divided straights are

45678Q of one color and QQ.
    23456TJ of one color and 9 of a different color.
  • BigFarmBigFarm MontrealRed Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Sorry but I can't tell what's going on after reading your post or the link.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    I wish you success... but I can't even play hold 'em properly the majority of the time. And I've been studying my ass off for 3 years now!
  • carl_sebastiancarl_sebastian Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    One goal i had was that the the value of a 5 card starting hand should correspond to how valuable it is in standard poker so straight flush (5 cards long) should be a better starting hand than 4 of a kind.
    BigFarm wrote: »
    Sorry but I can't tell what's going on after reading your post or the link.
    I was afraid it's too complex and hard to understand for most people, especially the ones you wanna play against. Ideally the rules should be easy to understand while the strategic aspects are very complex.

I consoder axing the following
    • "divided (5,6)-straight & 5 of the same color" (you can sometimes miss you have it).
    • "4pairs in two colors" (you get that 1 in 1068 hands).

I could add a page to the document linked where i explain more about how the rules actually works but ideally that shouldn't be needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file