Folds to me 3 bet to $5
UTG calls

Flop ($10) :Ac :Js :Ts hero bets $5.25 Villain raises to $19

We started the hand about 150BB effective

Hero?

Comments

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited February 4
    On such a dynamic board it might be a good idea to check back, its very possible your opponent made 2pair+ given preflop action, and its possible your opponent might be drawing to both a straight and flush. While you have the king blocking KQ I think its still optimistic to say he doesnt have it in this instance.

If you plug in your holding against a range of

77-QQ/A9s-AKs/KTs-KQs/AJo-AKo/KQo/98s-QJs/JTo-QJo

we're left with 59% equity on the flop which gives enough EV to call the raise but now we have to worry about RIO; whatre you gonna do if the spade comes and V bets? A,K,Q, and 9 of spades are all cards that put us in tough spots since they all (excluding the 9) improve our hand but put a ton of pressure on us at the same since they complete the flush and put out a 4 card straight.

So now since we bet and V raised we have to decide before we continue if V is raising for value or implied odds. If the latter, were calling and check/folding if the action cards hit or check/calling to showdown.
  • Steve JonesSteve Jones Red Chipper Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @blindraise, I can't check back I am first to act. Are you suggesting open checking?
    Yes I meant an open check, apologies.
    Ok yes that is an option but here is the problem with that. I often times 3 bet with mid pocket pairs and suited connectors. When the board comes with a high card I am c-betting, and I make a profit doing this. If I start only betting when I miss and checking when I make a pair I will be very unbalanced.

This board is a very bad one for my exact hand though, so yes, a check does seem like a better choice in retrospect.

Anyone else before I ask the next question?
    @Steve Jones I personally feel like its a mistake to play with "balance" in mind, especially at low stakes where its very possible our opponents dont even perceive our attempts at "balancing." I think board texture and opponent tendencies constitute our decisions, and deviation is necessary to maximize profit in the long run so I dont think you should be too focused on balancing and your image; let the other players and cards dictate that.

Btw this is coming from a live player with no hud experience, so feel free to take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    Your 3-bet is too small. We are OOP so I would make it 4x, possibly even larger for value against this specific Villain, whose stats early on indicate that he doesn't like to fold.

Once we get to this flop, I'd prefer to check. We have an aggressive Villain and a good hand to bluff catch that has outs to the nuts. He has same number of sets as we do (assuming we 3b AA and JJ and not TT whereas he calls a 3b with JJ and TT), he has all of the 2 pair combos and 9 combos of KQ. Now that we've given laid him a price preflop to call with these hands, we need to play the flop accordingly.

With your actions this far, you've allowed him to place pressure on your range while you're hoping that he's going ballistic with a hand like AQ, which is only a small percentage of his range.
    @Ninjah, even if I bet 4x preflop we are still checking this flop right. I bet $5, 4x would have been $6.

So as played I called the $19 bet. Should I have folded?

The turn ($48) is the :Th which makes the board :Ac :Js :Ts :Th

I check and he checks back.

The river makes the board :Ac :Js :Ts :Th :6s

What do we do now? Check fold? Check call? Bet fold? Bet call?

I am interested in anyone's thoughts on all actions from preflop to river.

Thanks
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited February 5
    Check and hope to get to showdown. All we beat is AQ (not suited spades obviously). I don't see him value betting any of those on this board. I also don't see him raising us on the flop with those hands. We lose to AT, AJ, KQ, JTs, KTs, QJ, QTs, 98s spades, T9s, Ax spades, JJ (and yes, all of those are in his 30% opening range). That's a lot of combos we lose to, compared to what we beat. Sigh-fold if he bets.

I prefer larger sizing preflop. We know he's fishy and calls too wide. So let's get his chips in the middle with our premium holding. We also want to charge a bit more for playing OOP.

I'm torn on whether we check this flop or not. We have TPTK and a gutshot. And we can extract value from weaker Ax and draws. But it's also a very 2P friendly board and nails an UTG/3b flat opening range. I lean towards check/calling since we're OOP.
    Thanks for the reply, anyone else?
    So anyway, I butchered this hand. I decided to bet/fold this river, I bet $13.50, he jammed and I folded, he showed K7dd.

Not seeing the results I do believe that in the future this is a check call situation from the flop till river, maybe a check fold on the riv. One thing though, people do like to spazz a lot on bovada, I have been calling down some decent sized bets and winning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file