Player 4 ALL-IN
Hero CALL $3.98
Showdown:
Player 4 SHOWS
7C.png 6C.png
Hero SHOWS
AD.png AS.png
Player 4 wins the pot: $13.24

Player 4 was a fishy/maniac style player with 54/28 (0% 3B) style with a tendency to play fit or fold (from what I could judge after 68 hands).

Some thoughts:
-How should I play the flop? I'm thinking that this is a flop where I can confidently opencheck, given that my hand is relatively well protected (esp with the Ace of spades). I was thinking this is a hand for 2 streets of value, hence I elected to check. But looking my back now, given that V is quite fishy, should I just go ahead and bet?
-On the R, I sort of had a blackout. My initial plan was to bet/fold. I think there are plenty of hands that would still pay me off here. However, when the raise actually came I told myself he might overplay a K and so I went to the K.

Cheers,
Eurocrat

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,637 -
    Pre OOP I'd make it 0.9. I don't see many benefits to checking this flop, particularly against this player type. If it's genuinely a 2-street hand, it's usually easier to get those 2 streets on flop/turn rather than turn/river. Pretty hard to find a fold on the end against a maniac, but maybe you're supposed to I dunno.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I agree that Pre sizing could be larger. We know V calls too wide, so let's get as much value as we can from him. Plus we want to charge for playing OOP.

What I've noticed at 5NL and 10NL is that overpot bets and shoves tend to be heavily nutted. I've even noticed it in my own play. My bluff sizings tend to be more value-sized. And I almost only overbet with a nutted hand. It's something I'm trying to work into my play at the moment.

I'm folding based on your own assessment of V. You said he's been playing fit or fold. The K doesn't help and I can't think of any Ks that call the turn. Maybe Kxs of spades since he is calling so wide pre. But he probably bets that on the flop. Maybe JTs of spades because he turns a FDSD and turns that into a bluff.

Also, bluff-raises on the river are not common moves for fish.

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    A c-bet here is fine, I think. He has a ton of worse pocket pairs that are going to continue. Holding the :AS: blocks out some of his holdings that would call a 3 bet and now have a spade draw (or, at least I would have thought prior to you posting results!) So we can also cbet to charge this draw against us.

Agree with @TheGameKat on streets of value angle. When you check the flop, you're forcing yourself to grab that value from later streets after your opponent potentially benefits from a free card.

I would have a very hard time folding the river.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    Holding the :AS: blocks out some of his holdings that would call a 3 bet and now have a spade draw (or, at least I would have thought prior to you posting results!) So we can also cbet to charge this draw against us.

But we can charge this draw regardless of us having the :AS: blocker.

• EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for commenting! Retrospectively, I share the assessment that my preflop 3B could have been larger, especially after this hand when I see that he calls the 3B with 76s. Guess there was some kind of FOMO involved on my side.
    As for the flop, interestingly for pokersnowie checking and betting has the same EV, but I do see the point of betting here against this opponent.
    @Brews_and_Cards: I didn't even realize how I was inconsistent thinking there would be a high number of K as regards my description of V as fit/fold. Indeed, the only K he could come up here with should be missed spade draws.
    And yes, I agree that the large bets on T and R on this level are almost exclusively value bets with nuttish hands. I even put a post-it next to my screen saying "believe them!" because I felt like I am paying them off too often. In this particular spot though, his all-in is relatively small and lays me ~2.5:1 which seemed kinda ok for me at the moment.

I plugged some numbers in flopzilla though and even under the assumption that he raises here with his Kx hands, the hands that beat me are outnumbering it by far and based on the potodds I should find the fold button.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file