is this a good x/r position

ryon341ryon341 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
Playing very low stakes tonight - .25 / .50

i have $ 110.00 on the table
Villain1 has $ 47.00
villain2 has $ 45.00 (about 90 BB effective stack size)

Hero on SB with :AS: :6C:

V1 in MP min-raises to $1.00 (I don't know this villain, no stats)
Hero Calls SB
V2 Calls BB (he's a regular that i play a lot)

Flop :6H: :QD: :8C:
Obviously, rainbow, no real scary draws. if anyone has anything, it's a pair or a set. I got the worst possible made hand - bottom pair.

Hero Checks
V2 bets $ 1.30
V1 Folds
Hero calls

Turn :AH:
Ok, I have two pair. He would need a set or AQ to beat me. That's such a small percentage of his range that i'm not really worried about it. I probably have the best hand.

So what's the best line moving forward:

1) Donk him with a pot size bet
2) Check / Raise
3) Check / Call

My first thought was to check/call it to the river in hopes that he will build the pot with a lesser hand.

i don't want to donk - mainly because everyone says not to. I can't say I know why. In the past, that would have been my choice.

I just watched the videos on check/raising. I don't know, however if this is the right spot for it.

How would you extract the most value from this hand?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,923 -
    Check-raise turn lead river looks reasonable.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    I actually like a donk lead here, I just wouldn't do it for full pot maybe closer to 3/4. The reason you would be leading this turn is because the Ah may be a scare card and V might check back a lot of hands that would call a bet so you don't want to instead scare him off with a pot sized bet. You could balance the lead by adding in some pair+flush draw and combo draws like 8h7h, Th9h, 9h7h, ect.

Whether to check/raise or lead depends on what you think about villain. If he's likely to continue betting on this card then go for the C/r but if you think he is likely to check back the go for the lead line.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,705 -
    Did you consider folding pre?
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm gonna fold pre. I know its cheap to see a flop here, but what if BB 3 bets? Then you fold and light 2 BB on fire. And how do we feel calling a second barrel when we make our ace? Probably not super great. This hand seems like it may have worked out but A6o is not a good hand.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,923 -
    Yeah I'm gonna fold pre. I know its cheap to see a flop here, but what if BB 3 bets? Then you fold and light 2 BB on fire. And how do we feel calling a second barrel when we make our ace? Probably not super great. This hand seems like it may have worked out but A6o is not a good hand.

A problem we could ameliorate by 3-betting ourselves, but it seems a little ambitious.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ryon341ryon341 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    If it had been more than 2 BB, I would have folded pre, but it was just too attractive at such a low price. He did bet 1/2 pot and I x/r the turn. He folded, so it worked out well. I just wanted to hear opinions on the best way to extract the most value.

Interest that @TheGameKat suggested a 3bet. I never considered a 3bet in SB with A6o. Would you consider this just a 3bet bluff? i could use a few more bluffs in my range.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,705 -
    ryon341 wrote: »

Interest that @TheGameKat suggested a 3bet. I never considered a 3bet in SB with A6o. Would you consider this just a 3bet bluff? i could use a few more bluffs in my range.

He also called it too ambitious, because it is.

The idea is that there is a development with A-trash offsuit that you should go through.

Bad:
    * I will call a small raise.
    * I can't call even a small raise, but I will complete

Better:
    * I have an Ace blocker, calling sucks. Raise!
    * I am glad I considered raising but it is rarely the right move
    * This is not one of the rare raising spots. Fold
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • ryon341ryon341 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Agree. A6 is garbage. i will stick to my ranges a little closer.
  • JMCollinsJMCollins Los AngelesRed Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    It's hard to trim out all the bad calls. So easy to flick a chip in or hit the button. Good to have Doug here to put it bluntly for us.
  • Phil EbbsPhil Ebbs Red Chipper Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    Not only is it a fold pre, but this is also a fold on the flop. What do you think BB has when he donks into the preflop aggressor?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file