Calling down with Blocker

mgauchmgauch Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited February 10 in Online Poker Hands
Played this hand today on Run It Once, would like to hear your opinion on my play and analysis. I dont have any reads since it is anonymous.

Run It Once Poker Hand #30852151: Hold'em No Limit (€0.02/€0.04) - 2019/02/10 13:14 UTC [2019/02/10 14:14 CET]
Table ID '30841027' 6-Max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Carlo W (€7.19 in chips)
Seat 2: Elliott U (€7.86 in chips)
Seat 3: Robbie L (€4 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero (€4.52 in chips)
Seat 5: Evan F (€4 in chips)
Robbie L: posts small blind €0.02
Hero: posts big blind €0.04
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero :Ah :8d
Evan F: folds
Carlo W: folds
Elliott U: raises €0.04 to €0.08
Robbie L: folds
Hero: calls €0.04

Note: Calling is +EV. His open range on button is behind my A8o.

*** FLOP *** :2s :Qd :8c (Pot: 0.18)
Hero: checks
Elliott U: bets €0.09
Hero: calls €0.09

Note: Clear call. He can bet all missed broadways and further gutshots like T9s as well as backdoor flush draws.

Value range: AA,KK,22,QQ,88,Q8s, AQ,KQ,QJ,QT,Q9 (Combos: 60)
Bluff range: Missed Broadways, Gutshots, Backdoor-flushdraws, (Underpairs? Like 44)
*** TURN *** :2s :Qd :8c :Kh (Pot: 0.36)
Elliott U: bets €0.17
Hero: calls €0.17

Note: I`m blocking strong Qx and Kx with my ace. He might be bluffing with a hand like 99, to which I still lose. I called because thats my strongest non Qx hand on the turn. AK and AQ are blocked by my ace. Behind any Qx like QJ, QT and any made Kx on the turn.

*** RIVER *** :2s :Qd :8c :Kh :Kc (Pot: 1.28)
Elliott U: bets €0.46
Hero: calls €0.46
Note: Unsure what to do. I called since the King paired (Less Kx in his range). Value combo of him decrease significantly with a second king

*** SHOWDOWN ***
Elliott U shows [Ks 4s] for Three of Kind [Ks Kh Kc Qd 8c]
Elliott U collected €1.53 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot €1.62 | Rake €0.09
Board [2s Qd 8c Kh Kc]
Seat 5: Evan F folded before Flop
Seat 1: Carlo W folded before Flop (timeout)
Seat 3: Robbie L (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: Elliott U (button) showed [Ks 4s] and won €1.53 with Three of Kind K's and Q 8
Seat 4: Hero (big blind) mucked [Ah 8d] and lost

Is there any possibility to import "naked" hand histories from third parties into PT4?

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    You note matter of factly that A8o if a +EV call given how wide V's opening range is going to be but then call 3 streets with 3rd pair on a paired board? If your A8 is 'ahead' of his range, your Ax holding does not block out that many combos of hands that beat your third pair. It blocks out the hands that absolutely destroy your hand, but it does not block out the majority of hands that win this pot.
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Calling A8o might be +EV but it's all about what has the higher EV? So I dont mind 3betting this hand since a BTN range could be very wide.
    I like the flop call but I have to disagree on his range a bit: is he really betting all sets or 2pairs?
    The turn is the key point of the hand. I dont think he is betting pocket pairs at all here (except sets and AA). You also said you called because you block his strongest KX and QX. This is true but blockers dont matter enough to justify a call here. Do you also call A2 because of blocker effects? I doubt that he is betting all his QX as well.
    On the river you said you dont know what to do which indicates that a mistake has been made on a previous street. When he continues betting a card which pairs the board your alarm bells should be ringing. I think you can overfold to aggression on microstakes in general.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited February 14
    I think I would have played this hand the exact same way as you did. The only thing that bothers me is villain's sizing on the river. This sizing gives us a great price but I think he's actually less likely to be bluffing than if he bet, say, 2/3.
    You note matter of factly that A8o if a +EV call given how wide V's opening range is going to be but then call 3 streets with 3rd pair on a paired board? If your A8 is 'ahead' of his range, your Ax holding does not block out that many combos of hands that beat your third pair. It blocks out the hands that absolutely destroy your hand, but it does not block out the majority of hands that win this pot.

1) The paired board is actually helpful for us but it seems like you're saying it isn't.

2) Ax blocks AK, AQ and AA which are the only Ax combos villain has for value. So it only blocks hands that "destroy" ours while not blocking any others.
    Calling A8o might be +EV but it's all about what has the higher EV? So I dont mind 3betting this hand since a BTN range could be very wide.

Why turn a hand which is perfectly playable as a defense into a bluff?
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭
    When a board pairs on the river V is less likely to be bluffing (from my experience). I agree with LeChiffre that the sizing is suspicious as well.
    A8o is difficult to play in general, you just dont flop anything a lot of the time. There could easily be an extra thread about playing A9-A2o from the blinds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file