Non-standard AK line.

RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
Early in a $400 WSOP Circuit Tournament. Blinds are 100-200 with a 25 ante, hero has about 15K.

V1 UTG - Also has about 15K. This is someone I have played with 2 or 3 times a year for the past 10 years or so. I know she is a good player who thinks through her actions, capable of both running bluffs and folding big hands.

V2 MP - About 12K. I try to stay away from the term fish, as it's not very descriptive, but it fits. Total noob not really certain how the game works.

V1 opens for 800 UTG.
Hero flats AKo (no club) UTG +1.

This is a spot I 3-bet near 100%, but her large open made me feel there was a good chance she had JJ+ and I might get 4-bet, which is a spot I would prefer to avoid at this stage. I also thought the large sizing would tend to get folds behind me.

V2 calls in MP. Button, SB, BB call. Whoops.

Flop (5K)
:Ac :9c :8s

Action checks to V1 who fires 5K.

A quick glance shows V2 is fighting the urge to call out of turn, and everyone else looks like they're just waiting to throw their hands in.

To me this looks like V1 probably has AK/AQ or possibly one of a couple club draws - of course sets are possible too, though not super likely. V2 can have any AX, and many draws.

Generally I would raise in this spot, but I wanted to make sure not to give either of these players an excuse to fold a weaker ace. There are a lot of turns I'm comfortable getting it in on, and it should be a fairly easy fold if a club comes.

Hero flats, V2 flats.

Turn (15K)
:7c

Okay, so the turn was THE card that beats me.

V1 jams. Hero folds.

Did a few things differently than I normally would, but I feel like I had good reasons for them. What do you think?

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited February 10
    Roblivion wrote: »
    Generally I would raise in this spot

Why?

I think I would have played the hand the exact same way. I like the preflop call for the same reasons as you mentioned, and the flop call is IMO the best option
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Why?

I think I would have played the hand the exact same way. I like the preflop call for the same reasons as you mentioned, and the flop call is IMO the best option

Because V1 is pretty clearly just going with the hand, so I should be able to get it in heads up for stacks, but flatting offers the 4-person field 3:1 to draw to whatever nonsense they have.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,075 -

Why?

Because V1 is pretty clearly just going with the hand, so I should be able to get it in heads up for stacks, but flatting offers the 4-person field 3:1 to draw to whatever nonsense they have.

Interesting. So if you make it 2200 or something you figure it folds to V who rips? I like that line fine in a field where there are a lot of good players, but then again I usually avoid tournaments where I don't have a skill edge. I think flatting pre is fine at this stack depth.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »

Why?

Interesting. So if you make it 2200 or something you figure it folds to V who rips? I like that line fine in a field where there are a lot of good players, but then again I usually avoid tournaments where I don't have a skill edge. I think flatting pre is fine at this stack depth.

No, this is referring to the post flop action, as I believe the initial question was.
    Though I do believe there is a higher than average chance she would be 4-betting pre to some reasonable amount, or at the very least continuing with a range that I need to hit against in a now large pot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file