Nut flush draw in a 4bet pot

EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

here's another hand I played recently at NL10 on Pokerstars. It's a 6max table, but when the hand played out, there were only 4 players:

Table Information
Seat: 1 Hero ($12.75) Dealer
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($10.05) Small Blind
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($15.61) Big Blind
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($11.71)
Dealt to Hero
AS.png 2S.png

Preflop (Pot:0.15)
Player 6 FOLD
Hero RAISE $0.25
Player 2 RAISE $1
Player 5 FOLD
Hero RAISE $2.4
Player 2 CALL $1.4

Flop(Pot: $5.2)
KH.png 9S.png 6S.png

Player 2 CHECK
Hero CHECK

Turn(Pot: $5.2)
KH.png 9S.png 6S.png TH.png

Player 2 ALL-IN
Hero FOLD
Player 2 RETURN $7.65
Showdown:
Player 2 MUCKS

Player 2 wins the pot: $12.8

Villain is a reg with 24/21 stats, but a quite straightforward postflop gameplay. Couple of questions:
- What do you people think of the 4bet? A2s is a hand that I like to 4bet quite frequently in this spot because it has good playability and IP, I feel relatively comfortable playing it, should V not fold. With a 4x 3bet, I wouldn't feel comfortable just calling,
- On the flop, I elect not to contibet, which in retrospect I don't like. My reasoning was that I had some showdown value, but that doesn't really apply in this 4bet pot, does it? If I elect to bet, should I go all-in, or is there a case to be made for a different bet size?

Thanks everyone for their feedback!

Cheers

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I also like 4bet bluffing with weak suited Ax hands. I think the flop is an easy shove for us. We have great equity with the nut flush draw and an over. We also represent AA, KK, AK and we crush that flop. Puts QQ, JJ, TT and AQ in a very tough spot.
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I just think if you 4bet you need to C bet this flop
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited February 11
    If we cbet, we have about a pot sized bet behind. Are we double barreling? If yes, we are essentially getting our stacks in, anyway. Are we calling V's bet on the non-spade turns? Are we giving up almost half of our stack on a cbet/fold line?

I prefer making V have the tough decisions. Not us.

If he calls, we have two chances at 9 outs, possibly 12 if we're not up against an A.

If he folds, we scoop a 51BB pot with A high.

Edit: I should add that I prefer 4b bluffing with weak suited Ax when I'm deeper to avoid this kind of situation.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while overall this looks good, I'm going to infer some things that may be helpful.

1) Your range i at its widest on the button and you will be played back at the most, meaning your 4bets will become naturally wider too. With the deuce in your hand, instead of a 4 or a 5, I'm wondering if you are 4 betting too much.

2) Because you will be played back at lightly, the flatting value of your suited wheel aces goes way up. You have position and a nut making hand, By turning too many of these hands into bluffs, you are actually taking away from your advantage, rather than adding to it. So the question of frequency is really starting to be important to you.

Otherwise, seems solid. You can be checking back lots of AA and Kx on this board and SPR, and your opponent is not incentivized to overbluff this runout.
  • EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, everyone! I agree that if I elect to cbet, I should just shove. Indeed, if I would bet half pot I would have 1/2 pot behind, so I'm essentially pot-committed. I agree with the assessment of Brews_and_Cards that by shoving, I generate a lot of pressure for more marginal hands in this spot. Having plugged in some numbers in flopzilla, I tend towards shoving here, since I would consider shoving a number of value hands here, including AA and AK.

@persuadeo: What would be your strategy behind checking AA on this flop? As concerns the 4Bet, I would consider 4betting here for value with TT+,AQs+,AKo+, so 4bet-bluffing A5s-A2s is more than reasonable I think. On a side note, I understand that we need to keep our frequencies in check, but conceptually, I find that A5s and A2s play exactly the same. In this specific spot, I would use something like 87s or 97s to 4bet here.

I'm intrigued that you would arrive at this flop with some Kx combos, because I don't see any of these combos in my 4betting range - I don't see KQs here as strong enough to 4bet for value, and I'm not convinced of using Kxs combos here unless I believe villain is way out of line.

For those who wonder: Villain had a 3betting stat of 7% after 120 hands with 15.4 from the SB after 13 hands.

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Eurocrat Checking AA and other hands in this spot would be because of the SPR, mainly, and because of its lack of need for protection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file