AKo - SB - Harrah's $75

MTTheroMTThero Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hand: Ad Ks
Position: SB
Stack: 15k
Blinds: 100/200 Level 3 (pre-ante)

Preflop (300) UTG raises to 600, UTG+1 call, MP call, Hero raises to 3,300, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls, LP folds.

Flop (8000) 9s, 7h, 3c: Hero bets 4,500, UTG+1 folds.

Reads: UTG was splashy, slightly passive. UTG+1 was a late register and just sat down last orbit, seems a bit tighter. This is his second hand played in an orbit. MP female, loose passive, but over values top pair badly. In the past I've seen her nearly stack of with TP in the first level. (She check/raised flop, barrelled turn and river and was raised on river and called without much hesitation. )

My thoughts:

Preflop: Not sure if 3 betting AKo in this spot is best and if so, is my sizing good? UTG while splashy, I don't think he raises all pairs. I think he may limp the bottom half of pairs. Also don't think he balances his raising range with suited Ax or suited connectors.

The 2 limpers I put on marginal speculative hands - pairs, suited connector types, suited aces and maybe some other even weaker holdings like weaker offsuit broadway hands at least for the second limper. The first limper might be relegated only to more of a standard calling range.

Flop: I think in a balanced range, I may check/call this on the flop. However, I made a bet based on a read here, he stared at the flop when it was dealt, so I fired and was right this time. My question really is, if I didn't get the read, does this hand belong in my check/calling range or c-bet semi-bluff?

Comments

• RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I think the main problem is the pot size that your raise size creates. When you make it 3300 after a UTG raise and two EP callers, you're going to get at least one caller a decent amount of the time. When you do, you're going to be OOP with a tiny SPR, the villain's range is going to be quite strong, and you're often going to miss, like the flop in question. Now you're faced with the choice to check-fold, check-call for a third (or more) of your stack, or run a bluff with a hand that will only fold out weaker for a third (or more) of your stack.

I think you should either flat pre or choose a raise size that will create a more manageable pot size if you get a caller. If you don't think that a raise to 2500 or so will get any folds, you're probably better off flatting and seeing what kind of board you catch.
  • MTTheroMTThero Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I thought about calling, but then when thinking ahead, even a good flop puts me in an ugly spot. If I ask myself if I am happy just calling and getting a K high flop in a multi-way pot with a high SPR, the answer would be no. So if I call and get the best possible flop that can be expected, and wouldn't be thrilled, how could calling be right?

I just felt handcuffed here preflop. I honestly wasn't thrilled with any option.

But I know with a low SPR and I get the best possible flop, I would be happy to stack off.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,013 -
    If you really want to contemplate stacking off on a favorable flop I think you're better off making it 4k pre to really squish the SPR. 3300 would be fine IP but OOP I want to do something more definitive.

I don't mind flatting, but you will be in a defensive mode throughout the hand. It's probably what I'd do here since the antes haven't kicked in yet.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file