Difficulties with Pre-Flop Charts. Re-raises and Tournament all-ins.

MK12345MK12345 Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
I have taken a look and studied the pre-flop charts at
https://redchippoker.com/what-to-open-raise-preflop/
and other charts from other sites as well.

I am curious whether there are re-raise charts or 4bet charts, etc. that provide info. on which hands you should re-raise or 4bet, etc. depending on what position you are in at the table.

Similar question….I often find myself in tournament play (when I am short stacked) where I have a good hand to shove all-in with (say I have 10BB from UTG+2 and hold Ajo)….but in this situation UTG+1 goes all-in with his 10BB right before me. What do I do here?

How do I think about these situations?

Thanks. Mike.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,480 -
    There's a lot to consider, but theoretically these ultra-short situations are ones in which, with practice and off-table work, you should never make a mistake.

First, note that ICM considerations are typically important when this short because you'll either be approaching the bubble or ITM. These tend to amplify the importance of being the aggressor - being the shover rather than the caller at really low stack depths.

The good news is that for short-stacks in which either an open-shove or a 3b-shove are appropriate, the situation is essentially solved. So either spend some time with a tool like HoldemResources Calculator, or (better for a while IMO) go old-school and figure out equities by hand using range vs range and Equilab.

So to answer your question, you can in principle create 3b-shove "charts," but because ICM is so critical you typically have to look at each situation and develop an intuition from that.

The next installment of my MTT article series will touch on some of these points.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 236 ✭✭
    UTG+1 10bb shoving range is going to be wide. Lots of pairs and Ax. Your stack size plays a role in what you call there as well as the tendencies of the players left to act and their stack sizes. As Gamekat said question is very broad. There’s literally a science dedicated to these spots.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    As to your first question: while it's relatively easy to formulate opening ranges, 3-betting ranges are far more dynamic. With opening ranges there is generally less to consider: you have your "default" ranges per position and you make those tighter or looser depending on the players left to act.

With 3-betting ranges, the fact that someone has already raised makes it more nuanced. You need to think of villain's opening range AND continuance range to facing your 3-bet. This means that sometimes you don't want to 3-bet bluff, other times it means you want to 3-bet bluff a lot. On the flop side, sometimes you want to 3-bet QQ, other times you want to call.

To say you should 3-bet range X from position Y facing an open from position Z would ignore the necessary nuance. Hence you don't often find 3-betting ranges online, and if you do you should take them with a grain of salt IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file