Good Fold Or Bad Fold?

StonethorStonethor Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 26 in Tournament Poker Hands
Hello all, I'm wondering about your thoughts regarding this MTT I took on Sunday. It was the $215 event to the Sochi EPT in Russia that the first 14 would get a package to.
I worked my way up to this event via satellites and was feeling pretty good. I ended up in 27th so it was close as they say but no cigar ! There was this hand that has been bothering me since. It kinda felt that after this hand it was the deciding factor of either staying in or busting out later on. I´d love to know your thoughts about this situation.

Blinds - 350/700.
Antes - 100.
Hero - Small Blind.
Villains - CO & Button.

6 Players on a 9 Table
Hero Stack Size - 19610
Cut-Off - 38603
Button - 20161

UTG folds, and MP1 folds.
CO raises to 1750
Button 3-bets to 5600.
Action on me/hero with :KH: :QH:

CO is a bit of an bully and aggressive-ish player that I'd seen him trying to steal the blinds in quite a few positions.
Button I had only see play 23 hands so I didn't really have an exact approximation of his range but I could definitely see him re-raising/3-betting in his position with QAo+, JJ+.

I decide to fold, especially due to my "M ratio" being 2 and SPR being 1.6 after buttons 3-bet and BB folds too.
CO calls.

Flop -
:5D: :9D: :5C:
CO checks
BTN bets 3854
CO calls

Turn-
:TH:
CO checks
BTN bets 10707 (All-In pot bet into 20553)
CO calls.

River-
:JS:
CO shows :TS: :AS:
BTN shows :KC: :AS:

And that's how she went as they say. Given how this was played I don't think I ever would've called, even though I would've made a double gut shot straight by the end and boosted my stack up to 62K. My thoughts are would any of you possibly played this differently and went for it considering how this played out? I was happy with the fold I made but nonetheless kicking myself after I saw the J. Nerves definitely played a part in this whole tournament but conclusively I think I made the right choice. Any thoughts and comments much appreciated.
With kind regards.
Stonethor

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Good fold. Time to let this hand go, mentally.

If we call pre, we're playing for stacks as our SPR ratio would be less than 1. And we're never calling BU's bet on that flop.

When BU 3bets an aggressive player with a larger stack, he will have a hand that he'll call a shove with pre. And I don't think we want to shove 28BB with KQ against that 3b range.
  • Phil EbbsPhil Ebbs Red Chipper Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited February 26
    I should say that I don't know anything about 30bb play from a tourney or ICM perspective, but in general from a cash perspective, this is a fine fold pre. 4betting once in a while might be OK, but I'd rather have an ace in my hand. Let it go, you played it fine.
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Good fold pre. No way you're calling the flop bet anyway, I think this one is fine as played.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,013 -
    Good fold. Pedantic point, your M is above 10 not =2.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    KQs is not strong enough to call. Folding or Ai are your options.

Playing a linear range OOP to an aggressive chipleader is a losing proposition. When the button 3B, place the hand in the muck.

Mentally you need to let the result of the hand go. The correct decision was a fold. Result of the run out doesn’t matter.

TUNA
  • DuecesDueces Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Good lay down. Even if you made the call like many have said, bet on the flop you probably would of folded too.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Stonethor wrote: »
    My thoughts are would any of you possibly played this differently and went for it considering how this played out?

You can't know beforehand how the hand plays out. All you know is that preflop you have a decision to make. If you fold the runout could be such that you would have doubled up. If you call the runout could be such that you get coolered and bust.

Remove whatever happened after your fold from the decision process. And fold happily knowing that in the long run you are saving yourself chips and your tourney life.

• StonethorStonethor Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thank you all very much your input. I'm happy to hear that you think it was the right move.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file