Hand Review

Steve MSteve M Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
Game = $1/$2 - 8 Players

Wednesday Night around 11:00 PM. No Promotions running. A daily tournament nearing the end but room is most likely not going to have many newbies.

Hero = About 3 hours into session. Down about $25 from initial $300 starting stack. Stacked a player with a set of 5's to go up about $150 then lost it back when my Aces lost to Queens.

Villain = Literally just sat down. 1st hand. $300 Buy-In.

:Ad :Qc

UTG = Folds
UTG+1 (Hero) = Raise $12
MP = Folds
MP+1 (Villain) = Calls $12
CO = Folds
Button = Calls $12
SB = Calls $12
BB = Calls $12

Standard raise at this point was $10 for the table but I always open at least $12. Even though this was the Villains first hand, I put my description since 5 calls was pretty rare and most likely had to do with my image being a little splashy at this point. Not sure if Villain would have read into this at all but I included it just in case.

Flop = $60

:3d :5d :6d

Checks to Hero

Hero = Checks

Villain = Bets $25

Folds back to Hero

Hero = Calls $25

With 6 people in the hand, I didn't see any value in betting the A-high flush draw especially since I'd be out of position against MP & the Button. If either had any type of hand, they could float the flop & bet me off on the turn on many blanks. Same reason why I only called. Felt like I had to much equity to raise & put myself in a possibly awkward spot OOP.

Turn = $110

:Ac

Hero = Checks

Villain = Bets $50

Hero = Calls $50

So at this point, I'm pretty confused by this bet. Trying to pinpoint what hands Villain would double-barrel with on this board:

Value Hands
Pocket 6's, Pocket 5's, Pocket 3's (Makes Sense)
Made Flushes (I block a large amount of them with A of Diamonds)

Bluffs
K-high Flush Draws, Q-High Flush Draws, (I block K,Qo & Q,Jo to a small degree)
Complete Air

Hands Villain Wouldn't Double Barrel With:

Pocket Pairs 7's through 10's with or without a diamond (Checks Behind)
Combo Draws without a Diamond (Checks Behind)
Combo Draws with a Diamond (Folded Preflop)
Two Pairs (Checks Behind, Small Part of Range)
Pocket 4's with or without 4 of Diamonds (Checks Behind)

The reason I tightened up Villain's double barrel range is because as played, I feel a large part of my range is the naked Ace of Diamonds. I don't think there is much else I would raise pre-flop, then check-call the flop bet with. With that in mind, I don't expect many turn bets after I check. Because this turn card smashes my range, I felt this was a way ahead or way behind situation, so no value in raising.

River = $210

:3h

Hero = Checks

Villain = Bets $125

Hero = ???

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I think V has a lot of flushes here. Suited broadways: KQ, KJ, KT, K9, QJ, QT, JT, maybe more depending on how loose he is. Suited connectors like T9, 98, 87. He also has 55 and 66, which fill up on the river.

I don't give him many overpairs since he continues to fire on the turn. We have many more As in our range, compared to his.

I don't give him too many bluffs here considering he bet into 4 players. So I'm discounting his Kd and Qd draws. He could have 87s non-diamond and turns his busted straight draw into a bluff. But, that's a very bold flop bet if that's the case.

Technically, we need to defend 37% of our river range here. I'd probably downsize that to 25-30%, giving an unknown V the benefit of the doubt and assuming they tend to be more value-heavy with their river bets. Having the Ad certainly makes this a better call than other combos. But our hand is very face-up. I think it's probably an acceptable call, but an exploitative fold may be the more +EV play.
  • MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 155 ✭✭
    edited March 1
    I agree that there are a lot of flushes here, though I don't necessarily agree with your assumption that he wouldn't barrel some of those hands you listed, like two pair or 44 if he thinks he can still get calls from hands like KQ with a diamond. If he did bet those, he's virtually obligated to bomb the river when no diamond drops.

Not knowing him though, and this being a 1/2 table, I probably tend towards folding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file