Data Mining - Is it legal?

babalouisebabalouise Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
I am under the impression that data mining is *not* legal on most sites, such as Pokerstars. Yet some services, such as hhdealer.com, state that they can sell you hundreds of thousands of hand histories (recent - from the past month) from Pokerstars.

Is this legal? I'm asking because I think it would be fun to try to do a player pool analysis of the people I play against, but I need lots and lots of hands for it.

Comments

• Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
    I mean...who's to stop it? Who's to know who has collected, sold, or read what? These hh's have been around for ages. This is nothing new. Keep in mind, you can railbird your own stakes (or others, of course) and take your own notes on players. Certain networks even let you run a hud and collect data at tables you're not even playing on.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,757 -
    edited March 1
    I think for legality you'd have to check the ToS for each site. Here's a relevant page from Stars:

https://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/prohibited/?no_redirect=1

HHdealer is on the list of prohibited services.

My guess is that in a lightly-regulated industry, the degree of illegality pretty much only extends to breaking the rules under which you are invited to play. That said, in principle you could get banned.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • babalouisebabalouise Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you. I've read the relevant page sent by GameKat. I wonder how HHDealer even gets all of those hand histories from Stars. When I'm at a table on Stars (waiting for a seat), it won't download more than 30 hands that I'm not actually sitting at the table for. Oh well. Won't let curiosity kill the cat.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,757 -
    babalouise wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you. I've read the relevant page sent by GameKat. I wonder how HHDealer even gets all of those hand histories from Stars. When I'm at a table on Stars (waiting for a seat), it won't download more than 30 hands that I'm not actually sitting at the table for. Oh well. Won't let curiosity kill the cat.

One possibility is that they include card recognition software. The French deck is easier to distinguish than Hearthstone cards where things like... uhm... "Overwatch"? can distinguish between cards in the HearthArena overlay.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file