How wide should I go here?

U_TurnU_Turn Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
Live 1/2 game, 300 max buy-in. $5 button straddle. In this room, UTG still acts first preflop when there's a button straddle. If there is no raise, blinds act in normal sequence and straddler acts last. If there is a raise prior to the blinds, the straddler acts in turn.

Hero is BB with $300, Villain is cutoff and covers. Villain and I have played together before, but I don't think we've played together since I started studying and applying the concepts I'm learning at Red Chip. He may see me as my old self that was limpy/cally pre and fit-or-fold post but we've played a few orbits together during this session so he may or may not have noticed the new and improved aggressive U_Turn.

Folds to Villain who makes it $25, button and SB fold. Before I can act, Villain exposes AKo and then said he didn't see I had cards. I look down at JJ and make it $80. He tank folds.

So I know this is an unusual situation and I'm not really questioning doing this with Jacks. I'm wondering how wide I should go here? Do my cards matter if I can play the rest of the hand with perfect information?

Comments

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited March 2
    Its kind of a dick move but I've been in a similar situation on the river. I tanked vs. a bet and opp. thought I called and tabled his hand. The dealer as well as other players informed him I had not yet acted and he had an 'oh shit' face. I shoved with a busted draw and he insta-folded. Conversation ensued with some people saying how messed up that was and others saying its the other players fault for not paying attention. I'm of the latter frame of mind; its their own fault and they know it- they dont wanna look like an idiot and call either so unless their ego is the size of the room I'd say go as wide as you want.
  • U_TurnU_Turn Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    blindraise wrote: »
    Its kind of a dick move but I've been in a similar situation on the river. I tanked vs. a bet and opp. thought I called and tabled his hand. The dealer as well as other players informed him I had not yet acted and he had an 'oh shit' face. I shoved with a busted draw and he insta-folded. Conversation ensued with some people saying how messed up that was and others saying its the other players fault for not paying attention. I'm of the latter frame of mind; its their own fault and they know it- they dont wanna look like an idiot and call either so unless their ego is the size of the room I'd say go as wide as you want.
    Yeah, I realized it could come across that way. In the interest of keeping the game friendly and relaxed I showed the jacks so he knew I likely would have 3-bet regardless.
  • DuecesDueces Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I see no issue here. People who don't pay attention reap what they sow. I've seen it happen time and time again, and its just another part of the game. Some people take it well, others don't.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,684 -
    He will hit 1/3 on flop. You play perfect from there. Any raise that gives him less than 2:1 is plus EV pre. This is just a math problem.

We have not even considered your considerable bluff equity.

I wonder if just shoving his AK over the $80 is +ev... I think it might be better than folding.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file