C-bet flop with K high flush draw and get raised

lthobbslthobbs Red Chipper Posts: 38
edited June 2015 in Online Poker Hands
Apologies for the lack of proper hand conversion, I was not using my HUD for various reasons.

6max

.05/.10

Hero and Villain start hand with 100BB

It folds to me in the CO and I raise to .30 w/ KhTh and get called by the BTN, SB and BB fold.

Flop is Qh8h4d.

I cbet 60c into 75c and the BTN makes it 2.25$.

I don't have a lot of history with this aggressive villain, but he has bluff raised my cbets with air when I'm OOP before. I've noticed however that his bluff raises were significantly smaller than this one(his bluffs were closer to a min raise).

I'm at a loss for a decision I like here, but am trying to determine the best one I could have made. As played I called and turned a gutshot to go with my flush draw with the 9s. I checked and he bet 4.00 into 5.25 and I folded. I strongly dislike the way I played this hand and am seeking professional advice on what play might be best.

Folding to his flop bet feels overly weak but that may be better than calling the flop and check folding the turn. I like a check raise on the flop and a barrel on the turn if called(although the 9s does help some draws he might call the flop check raise with). But as played can I profitably shove flop after he raises my cbet? (If he only calls a shove with sets i'm pretty screwed)

As you can tell this hand has me scatterbrained and unsure of what decision is best.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 595 ✭✭
    lthobbs wrote:
    he has bluff raised my cbets with air when I'm OOP before

When i saw this the only thing i wanted to know is how often does he call me with second pair and third pair and draws if i shove. To an unknown player who i have seen take this line im putting him to the test.
    lthobbs wrote:
    ut as played can I profitably shove flop after he raises my cbet? (If he only calls a shove with sets i'm pretty screwed)

One thing i find hard to figure out is how do i expect my villain continue if i never saw him re-act to the action im thinking. So to help in these spots i think about frequencies, numbers & math. If this was the first raise ever then i'll assume he is strong and call thinking i have implied odds and plan to lead the turn with a big bet if i hit just to really cause him hate life with his strong hand that he seem to can't fold. Outside of my fancy play syndrome, a regular check-raise on the turn if i hit would shed some lights and just fold on turn with no info and let the numbers and frequencies build up.

However, you have more than numbers and all that. You have clear cut information, so my assumption is if he can raise flop with air he can probably raise it with top pair+, bottom pair and draws himself. So yes we can shove the flop profitably because:

I don't think he only shows up here with nutted hands, he can show up with strong hands but hands we have decent equity against like Qx + we can have some decent fold equity here as well. With the sizing being different it probably means he isn't as wide as he was before but that doesn't mean he went from extremely wide to extremely tight.

Outside of shoving, you should really consider thinking about how often is he folding, if so why bet the flop if he just going to be raising a ton? Why not check-call or even check-raise if he is not a maniac type player who is just going to be shoving a really wide range?

More importantly, know what you are going to do and why. If you think his range is tighter for whatever reason and you have a strong draw such as this, then call assuming you have some implied odds and plan what you will do when you hit and when you give it up. If you think he is wide, then these spots should be played a bit more aggressively, but a more strategic player will not to get into all kinds of trouble with their draws, which can simply be done by checking his fold to cbet frequency, his raising frequency & anything else needed to help with the game plan.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    Rello242 wrote:
    When i saw this the only thing i wanted to know is how often does he call me with second pair and third pair and draws if i shove. To an unknown player who i have seen take this line im putting him to the test.

Same. I don't want to call and then have to c/f most turns...so I'd rather rip the flop...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file