AKs in BB - MTT

Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
750/1,500 NL - Holdem - 9 players[/b]
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 40.5 BB (VPIP: 27.84, PFR: 13.68, 3Bet Preflop: 4.65, Hands: 98)
UTG+1: 21.76 BB (VPIP: 17.65, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
MP: 8.92 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 49)
MP+1: 74.7 BB (VPIP: 22.97, PFR: 15.49, 3Bet Preflop: 6.67, Hands: 75)
MP+2: 18.18 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
CO: 107.22 BB (VPIP: 28.36, PFR: 22.73, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 67)
BTN: 25 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 15)
SB: 72.38 BB (VPIP: 34.62, PFR: 21.57, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 53)
Hero (BB): 50.98 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.4 BB) Hero has K:club: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 2.8 BB, BTN calls 2.8 BB, SB calls 2.3 BB,

Hero?

Found myself stuck in this situation preflop. A 3bet is my initial instinct. But when I was thinking about sizing, I realized that SPR if I got a caller or two would be around 2 or less.

I caught CO trying to steal earlier from the CO with 97o, so I know he opens wide.

Tourney had been running for about 5.5 hours, late reg had just ended, and we're a couple hundred off the bubble.

This also made me want to finish listening to Optimizing AK on Audible.

Comments

• RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    This seems like a spot that you can sort of go either way and pick based on what fits into your general strategy. Maybe you want to try to pick up the blinds right now and add a decent chunk to your stack, or get into a possible large pot OOP. Maybe you want to take a flop and look to either make a big hand post flop or use your relative position on the villain to win later. Seems like this one is more of a question of overall style and what you're looking to do at this point in the tournament.

I personally would put in a 3-bet since CO is known to be light often, button is short, and we will have position on SB. Though I could certainly see deciding to flat and play post, depending on player profiles.
  • Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I don’t play online just live but I’m 3 betting all day here. I’m near top of my range w/ AKc and in the BB. I’m sizing it up too. Maybe even AI for the full squeeze. I’m aggro though.

If CO is stealing then punish him for it. We don’t have weak cards. BN is likely playing position and if he has anything the top of his range then they should 3-bet to isolate with CO having just 25bb, so I wouldnt think he’s super strong here (BU also has the highest 3bet stat, I would think we would hear about it if BU had a strong hand.

SB can be anywhere getting 3:1 on a call and has the highest vpip score. let’s find out where they are at and not let him get in for cheap and make a greasy hand.

For me I would go 7, maybe 7.5bb, if CO 4 bets us I think we would be reasonably ok to call depending on CO sizing. We would still be closing the action if he 4bets so we don’t have to panic.

I would hope for CO to fold and BU to jam then SB fold and then we race BU heads up.

I think we’re way ahead of BU and SBs ranges here and we will be playing uncomfortably oop post flop if we go multi way here

Plus we’re 50bb deep with a ways to go, we need a stack for a deep run. If we raise and CO shoves AI we can still fold without doing too much damage to our stack, if you don’t want to call.
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited March 4
    I agree that I should have 3 bet. Break happened right after that hand. And while I was walking the dog, I was kicking myself for not 3 betting pre. I flatted and missed the board. The flop checked through, the turn was an underbet that I called because I picked up equity, and the river bricked. SB won the pot with Q5o.

Hindsight and all that jazz.

The tourneys with 5 hours of late reg become such a grind. 6 hours into it, I become hesitant to shove my 50BB stack that I've been building and potentially busting. But adding 20% of my stack by shoving and everyone folding would have been fine. I suppose FE is pretty high for everyone else when I shove 50BB pre. I'm likely only getting called by QQ+ and CO is only one who could have that. Knowing he opens wide for steals, that's a very small part of his range.

Funny how clear everything becomes when the action is over.
  • Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I agree that I should have 3 bet. Break happened right after that hand. And while I was walking the dog, I was kicking myself for not 3 betting pre. I flatted and missed the board. The flop checked through, the turn was an underbet that I called because I picked up equity, and the river bricked. SB won the pot with Q5o.

Hindsight and all that jazz.

The tourneys with 5 hours of late reg become such a grind. 6 hours into it, I become hesitant to shove my 50BB stack that I've been building and potentially busting. But adding 20% of my stack by shoving and everyone folding would have been fine. I suppose FE is pretty high for everyone else when I shove 50BB pre. I'm likely only getting called by QQ+ and CO is only one who could have that. Knowing he opens wide for steals, that's a very small part of his range.

Funny how clear everything becomes when the action is over.

I know the feeling. In the moment with the shot clock running sometimes it’s hard to put it all together. Hey I made a terrible call with that KJ and ran myself into all kinds of trouble. So we do the work off the table and have these conversations and next time the right line is easier to see and work through.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file