Am I doing this right

Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited March 4 in Tournament Poker Hands
I just starting to put a lot of effort into range vs range and counting combos. Here's my hand from tonight. The would say the V is LAG, I'd seen him call down with 2nd pair on an obvious straight and shove 22's pre into multiway action plus some other questionable stuff. seemed like he was there to have fun. my table was action packed from the start w/ multiple AI's in the first 2 levels with all kinds of strange hands and big draws

MTT - multi day event

blinds: 100/200/200

H - 35,100 / V - 33,800

Hero LJ-Opens 500 :Kh :Js
CO-Calls
BU -Raise 2k
SB-fold
BB-fold
Hero Calls
CO-Folds
Pot 5k (25bb)
H - 33,100 / V - 31,800
I gave V: JJ+, AJs+, AJo+ (72 combos)

FLOP: :Ks :Qd :6c
Hero-check
V-Bet 2k
Hero Raise 7k
V-calls
Pot: 19k (95bb)
H - 26,100 / V - 24,800

Turn: :Kd

Hero - check
V - Shoves AI 24,800
Pot: 43,800,
H - needs to call 24,800 for a pot of 68,600 (36%)

I'm trying to count combos and eliminate hands, I took KK, JJ, AJ o/s out
I'm losing to 3 combos of QQ and 4 combos of AK
I'm ahead of the 6 combos of AA and 11 combos of AQ. I don't like having AQ in there but I think there some part of this V that would over play AQ when I check the turn.

There's 25 total combos, 7 I lose to and 18 I'm beating
That range puts me at a 75/25 favorite

When I remove AQ there's 13 combos and I'm only beating the 6 AA's but I'm still a 52/48 going to the river

I call, river is a 10, V has AKo.

All I'm looking for is if this is how you guys look at ranges, count them and do the math. Am I missing anything other than it should be a pretty obvious fold of KJ pre when the BU raises to 2k. Am I even close here?

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Looks like you're counting combos and doing the ranging properly. With that said, I would probably give V a wider range preflop if he's truly a LAG. Pretty common spot to squeeze, and LAGs can do that with a wider range than you're giving him.

But with the flop action, I'd say your tighter range is spot on.

I don't like the flop raise. He has KQ and AK, as well as QQ and AA. AQ is probably the only second best hand that calls our raise. We're bloating the pot with a hand that may already be beat with few outs.

Personally, I usually fold KJo to a BB squeeze. But I can see defending your open against a squeeze from an aggressive BB.
  • Jeffrey OJeffrey O Red Chipper Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Looks like you're counting combos and doing the ranging properly. With that said, I would probably give V a wider range preflop if he's truly a LAG. Pretty common spot to squeeze, and LAGs can do that with a wider range than you're giving him.

But with the flop action, I'd say your tighter range is spot on.

I don't like the flop raise. He has KQ and AK, as well as QQ and AA. AQ is probably the only second best hand that calls our raise. We're bloating the pot with a hand that may already be beat with few outs.

Personally, I usually fold KJo to a BB squeeze. But I can see defending your open against a squeeze from an aggressive BB.

Thanks for responding, there's a typo. it was a button raise, not BB. I agree the check raise bloated the pot and made a bad spot worse with the K on the turn
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Ah ok. That tightens his range up.

Also, just in general, if you're heads-up against an aggressive Villain, you can almost always rely on them to put their chips in the middle voluntarily. No need to force the issue by raising them. If he was going for a play with JTs or TT, our flop raise would let him fold and get away cheap.
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I fold KJo PF to a BU squeeze. Playing KJo OOP is a tough proposition.

I think the other comments were spot on but I don’t like the Check Raise.

When you go for the Check Raise what are you accomplishing?

You raising a junky hand where only better hands are going to continue. Not to mention bloating a pot OOP.

Check calling allows the V to continue with worst hands and pot control.

When you Turn trips, I don’t think we can fold as we now have a bluff catcher.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,757 -
    I avoid all the complexity by folding KJo from LJ. You're really deep for a tournament here and these weak offsuit broadways don't play well at all at this stack depth.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • JSnowJSnow Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 55 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I avoid all the complexity by folding KJo from LJ. You're really deep for a tournament here and these weak offsuit broadways don't play well at all at this stack depth.

I think this is the most important thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file