Flop shove bluff

blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
edited March 7 in Live Poker Hands
I've been thinking about this hand a long time, it happened weeks ago so the details arent exact. I still dont know if it's a good habit to get into:

Live 1/2

Folds around

Hero ($600) raises to $15 in CO w/ :JS::8S:

But. ($600) calls

Flop ($30):
:5D::5C::9H:

Hero checks
Villain bets $50
Hero shoves

*notes
This hand happened with an aggro gambler with a ridiculous VPIP and a 100% button straddle percentage. His play style gave me the oppurtunity to observe and analyze his style fairly quickly; He liked to talk especially in heads up play; the flop came out and his demeanor suggested weakness. He got quiet, paused, and slowly stacked up $50. Immediately after the chips left his hand I announced all-in. He started probing for info, hes pretty funny so he cracked a couple jokes ("oh, are my kings no good?") I'm not sure why I decided to shove here but it worked- my questions are:

Do you act impulsively on gut instincts or do you generally tank decisions?

and Is it better to shut down an opps bluff immediately? Or is this leaving money on the table?

Comments

• MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 155 ✭✭
    This is a super specific incident and definitely not something I'd personally get into the habit of doing unless I'm going to be jamming a 5 here a decent chunk of the time.

Obviously in this situation you're not leaving any money on the table but if you did have a 5 here, yeah, unless it's the 3rd or 4th time you've done it to him that night, that seems like a pointless way of spoiling some damn fine luck.

I've actually called a dude on the button with T4o just because he was getting his entire stack in the middle every single hand and had recently tripled up. I flopped trip tens, he bet $100, I raised it to $200 and he snap jammed it to $800 with two pair. Not the exact same situation because he was the gambler and I showed actual strength on the flop, but the point I'm trying to make is, if people see you're willing to jam 300 bigs with what's almost certainly not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd nuts on the flop, expect to get some very loose calls behind you looking to break you.
  • Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I call shoves like this fairly often online. Once a week it seems, I sit at a table with a guy who wants to shove 100+ BB every other hand. When I get dealt a premium, I try to isolate him, and just wait for him to pull the trigger. It feels great when they have trash. It feels rotten when they suck out (and then they promptly leave the table).
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
    edited March 7
    I think this hand is in itself very specific but the idea im extracting from it can be applied to other specific situations.

any paired board, 678 all suited runouts etc. you have an opp. that has a wide range and is inclined to bluff. You put him on either a stone cold bluff or a semi bluff to the 2nd nuts. You have 0 SDV and no immediate draws. You decide to represent the nuts on the flop with an overbet that only a maniac would call. Conversely, a call to V's initial bet could possibly commit V and any card could give him additional equity but would also allow him to keep barreling when you know hes bluffing. A ~minraise might get a fold or might induce floats and incentivize a big turn play from V. A fold makes no sense when you know V is weak.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,790 -
    That deep it looks a bit nuts to me tbh, but then I've been told I lack the imagination and "fight" to excel at this game.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file