Postflop Play OOP in 4 Bet Pot

MrNiceMrNice Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
edited March 7 in Online Poker Hands
Yesterday I play this hand on RIO. I tried to integrate the concept of range vs. range in this hand. Please criticize my mistakes and show me, where my thought process went in the right direction. I don t have any reads since it is anonymous and the notes get deleted after the session.

Questions:
Preflop: What range would you 4 bet (For value and as a bluff), call or fold in that spot?
Flop: Was my decision to check there right? Should I 4 bet hands like JJ - QQ, AQ?
Turn: What bet sizing would be reasonable here? What range should I bet or check here?
River: Should I went all in to get max value from his Kx or was the smaller sizing the better one? (I dont know how elastic his calling range on any street is)

Run It Once Poker Hand #32056949: Hold'em No Limit (€0.02/€0.04) - 2019/03/06 21:36 UTC [2019/03/06 22:36 CET]
Table ID '32052658' 6-Max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Philip Q (€8.98 in chips)
Seat 2: Dennis I (€8.26 in chips)
Seat 3: MrNice (€5.36 in chips)
Seat 4: Phil O (€4.29 in chips)
Seat 5: Liam K (€4 in chips)
Seat 6: Caleb D (€4.06 in chips)
Caleb D: posts small blind €0.02
Philip Q: posts big blind €0.04
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MrNice :Ah :Kh
Dennis I: folds
MrNice: raises €0.08 to €0.12
Phil O: folds
Liam K: raises €0.24 to €0.36
Caleb D: folds
Philip Q: folds
MrNice: raises €0.40 to €0.76
Liam K: calls €0.52

PREFLOP: I decided to 4 bet my AKs here, because it gets tricky if I call and miss the board. The other issue with calling is, that when I hit my ace or king, it might be a scare card for his QQ - TT and I dont get max value. I might 4 bet lighter here, since he probably 3 bets lighter on the button and isnt able to call profitably with a big part of his range (Hands like KTs,88 etc.) The stack to pot ratio is pretty close, so I might be commited on any board.

My own range (HJ vs D):

Bluff 4 bet: A2s- A5s (50% of all combos -> 8 combos), 65s (2 combos)
Value 4 bet: AA - JJ, AKs, AKo -> 34 Combos

Assumed range of opponent when 4 bet called:
ATs+, KJs+, AQo+, 99+, JTs+

*** FLOP *** :5d :Ks :4H: POT: 18bb
MrNice: checks
Liam K: checks

FLOP: I decided to check here, because since it is unlikely I can extract three streets of value. Sometimes I want to check my JJ - QQ. If I bet, I would bet 1/4 pot with my entire preflop range. If I bluffed with a suited ace, I might also check here. I could also induce bluffs by his missed broadways or he might valuebet worse. He doesnt have any pair stronger than me on this board (He might slowplay AA, but I reduce them to 3 combos). Sets arent likely since probably doesnt call a 4 bet with 44 or 55. I bet my suited aces to, since it is unlikely a pair of 4s or 5s is good at showdown or gets checked through.

My own range:
Bet (1/4 pot): AA, KK, AKs, AKo, 67s, Axs (With backdoor potential)
Check: QQ, JJ, AA, AK

*** TURN *** :5D: :KS: :4H: :8S: POT: 31bb
MrNice: bets €0.51
Liam K: calls €0.51

TURN: Since he checked back, it seems unlikely for me that he starts betting with air now. The 8s is a blank. I bet 1/4 pot, so that he can justify more easily to call with worse holdings.

*** RIVER *** :5D: :KS: :4H: :8S: :TH: POT:
MrNice: bets €0.75
Liam K: folds
Happy1969: mucks hand

RIVER: Here I bet 1/3 pot. I think it is a good sizing to use with my bluffs and value bets, since I had a clear range advantage during the whole hand. I dont see any reason to check here.

*** SHOWDOWN ***
MrNice: mucks hand
Uncalled bet (€0.75) returned to MrNice
MrNice collected €2.68 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot €2.84 | Rake €0.16
Board [5d Ks 4h 8s Th]
Seat 2: Dennis I folded before Flop
Seat 4: Phil O folded before Flop
Seat 6: Caleb D (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 1: Philip Q (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Liam K (button) folded during River
Seat 3: MrNice mucked hand and won €2.68

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Preflop: I 4bet AKs, QQ+ for value. And A2-A5s for bluffs. I think JJ makes a better 3bet flat, as any overcard on the board hits a 3b range and 4bet flat range really well.

Flop: I like checking this flop. We block most of what would call. And we're likely way out in front at this point. We're likely only getting 1-2 streets of value from V on this board.

Turn: I agree the 8 is a blank. Time to try and build the pot though. Spades will come along, and QQ-JJ may decide the price is right to bluff catch. I like 33-50% pot more than 25%. 25% feels like we're begging for a call. I find myself less inclined to call really small bets in these spots.

River: I'm sizing up here to 50-60% pot. The only hands that are calling are QQ-JJ that decide to bluff catch. I think 50-60% is large enough for our bluffs to look strong. 33% gets looked up a lot which puts our bluffs in a tough spot as we don't want to give V too easy of a decision to call down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file