Bad Aces out of position

zagaresezagarese Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
This is a pretty common situation and I can see the argument to always get it in - 4 bet pre and jam 90+% of flops.

I'd like to hear arguments for playing it differently.

Run It Once Poker Hand #32132727: Omaha Pot Limit (€0.05/€0.10) - 2019/03/08 17:02 UTC [2019/03/08 18:02 CET]
Table ID '32132609' 6-Max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Brad O (€10 in chips)
Seat 2: Eli N (€9.85 in chips)
Seat 3: Isaac C (€6.35 in chips)
Seat 5: bloopoo (€10.67 in chips)
Seat 6: Evan L (€9.40 in chips)
Isaac C: posts small blind €0.05
bloopoo: posts big blind €0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bloopoo [ :Th:Ad:As:5h]
Evan L: folds
Brad O: raises €0.25 to €0.35
Eli N: raises €0.85 to €1.20
Isaac C: folds
bloopoo: raises €2.70 to €3.90
Brad O: folds
Eli N: calls €2.80
*** FLOP *** [3s 9c 3d]
bloopoo: bets €6.67
Eli N: folds
bloopoo: mucks hand
*** SHOWDOWN ***
bloopoo: mucks hand
Uncalled bet (€6.67) returned to bloopoo
bloopoo collected €8.02 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot €8.40 | Rake €0.38
Board [3s 9c 3d]
Seat 6: Evan L folded before Flop
Seat 3: Isaac C (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 1: Brad O folded before Flop
Seat 2: Eli N (button) folded before Turn
Seat 5: bloopoo (big blind) mucked hand and won €8.02

Comments

• AnthonyBaum____AnthonyBaum____ Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    It's heads up and you are not backing down, you are committing your stack, you can try to get it in on the flop like you did or make 2 bets over the next two streets to get it in. With the board texture, even in a 4 bet pot, what would you do here with KKQJ double suited? would you still pot the turn?

I like your play, I think I would have tried to get it in over two streets though, 3 way, 100% pot. I look at it as if I was in position, no matter what they bet, I am calling it, so why not hook them in the same way.
  • zagaresezagarese Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
    I like your play, I think I would have tried to get it in over two streets though, 3 way, 100% pot.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 3-way comment here. As played one guy folded out pre and it was hu at flop.

Do you mean flat the 3-bet pre so as to get it 3-way?

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,056 -
    edited March 2019
    The rule of thumb is that if you can get 1/3 of effective stacks in pre with AAxx you do so and basically never fold post, so your line conforms with that. Since your hand is pretty face up, when you jam flop you'll often get called by 1-pair hands who typically have the equity to do so. The issue on this specific flop is that the low pair means a stray 9 is in much worse shape than usual to outdraw you, so 1/2-pot/jam has some merit.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all aces are reraise,s because then you don't have aces in that spot.

Then you pot it I guess? I can't tell, who can read this crappy hand receipt.

Pretty weak all around.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    The issue on this specific flop is that the low pair means a stray 9 is in much worse shape than usual to outdraw you, so 1/2-pot/jam has some merit.

Makes sense.

Also makes me want to explore if there is a bet-fold sizing against the pool. Thanks.

persuadeo wrote: »
    Not all aces are reraise,s because then you don't have aces in that spot.

Then you pot it I guess? I can't tell, who can read this crappy hand receipt.

Pretty weak all around.

Yes. Preflop 4-bet pot 1/3 of my stack, get HU and jam remainder (~85% pot) on this flop.

Reason I thought to ask about exploring other lines was exactly the fact that not all aces are not reraises yet these would be awful to play in a 3 way 3bet pot. I expect sizing is the key here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file