Online MTT pocket pair

bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
What's up guys, the following hand is from an online tourney with a 100k GTD prize pool, in the mid-early stages long before money bubble. Just looking for opinions on my line, or what other lines anyone would play here:

Blinds are 375/750 ante 90
Hero is in BB with 28,455 (shorter side of the table).

Preflop:
Action folds to the HJ (40,180) who opens for a 2BB. BU (39,185) calls.
I call with :8s :8h
Great pot odds here. HJ should have range advantage but has shown he plays wide 42/23 vpip/pfr.

Flop (5,685): :6d :9c :9s
Checks all around. I think my check was a decent option, given board texture, though I think a bet around 25%-40% pot may have been a decent option as well.

Turn (5,685): :6h
I don't like this card, but decide to lead out on this street for 1/4 pot (1422) and get called by the HJ. BU folds.

River (8529): :5d
Not a good river card either, as any 78 hand made a straight, but I am blocking so there are only 8 combos of this hand, 2 suited. Otherwise I have a decent holding, but am still behind any 9x hands in my opponent's range, or pocket pairs 10+.
I decide to check and HJ bets 44% pot (3750). I think and call.

HJ shows :9d :Td

I don't think I played this hand terribly, even calling the river where I was priced to call. But I think I could have played it better. Being OOP in a 3 way pot was part of the challenge, and I think HJ picked a well disguised albeit passive line (as I could have expected from his vpip/pfr).
Any ideas on what an optimal line would have been in this hand?

Comments

• Brews_and_CardsBrews_and_Cards Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Looks like a great spot for a 3b squeeze preflop in my opinion. Especially when we know HJ is opening wide.

Since you choose to flat, we basically have a bluff catcher when we don't make a set or better. HJ has all of the overpairs. I think 88 just wants to get to showdown as cheaply as possible on this board.

Given V's numbers, he also has a lot of 6s, too. 76s, 65s, A6s and A6o.

I think x/c turn, and x/f river may be the better line here. If he has A high or some other air, he could check back river since this board favors BB's flatting range.
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 273 ✭✭
    You say that HJ has range advantage. Why would you lead out then?
    I like your line but I would say that HJ doesnt have many straights here, more likely having 9X, KK,AA. Why is 5d a bad river card? All his broadways brick and you can easily x/c on this river, I dont see other options here tbh..
    Nh...
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,757 -
    I think your line is okay, although I would have sized up a bit on the turn and maybe bet-fold the river. But I don't understand your analysis. The turn looks like a perfect card to me. At what point in the hand would you anticipate HJ has range advantage? Similarly on the river, you block the nuts VERY hard, so I'd love to see the 5d roll off there.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback guys. @Brews_and_Cards I believe you are correct that a squeeze here could have been a stronger line, and I agree with the rest of your analysis. @TheGameKat I see your point. I suppose I meant I didn't like the 6 because there is now a greater likelyhood of a set. I only would say HJ has range advantage at the beginning of the hand, if only slightly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file