Busted Flush Draw & River Bluffing?

magicpigmagicpig Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited March 8 in Online Poker Hands
I read a comment from a banned poster who is good in this type of spot that I am having trouble understanding:

The Hand:

"$0.30 NL - Holdem - 7 players

UTG+1: 117.53 BB (VPIP: 25.78, PFR: 19.38, 3Bet Preflop: 8.18, Hands: 622)
MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 16.84, PFR: 11.86, 3Bet Preflop: 4.27, Hands: 59,567)
CO: 165.1 BB (VPIP: 28.34, PFR: 15.38, 3Bet Preflop: 5.65, Hands: 316)
Hero (BTN): 195.07 BB
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 17.46, PFR: 13.74, 3Bet Preflop: 6.11, Hands: 25,498)
BB: 96.27 BB (VPIP: 22.78, PFR: 4.32, 3Bet Preflop: 1.05, Hands: 420)
UTG: 106.2 BB (VPIP: 16.46, PFR: 12.86, 3Bet Preflop: 3.82, Hands: 27,920)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :JD: :KD:

fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 2.23 BB, Hero raises to 8.2 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 5.97 BB

Flop: (17.9 BB, 2 players) :TD: :AD: :8C:
CO checks, Hero bets 6 BB, CO calls 6 BB

Turn: (29.9 BB, 2 players) :9C:
CO checks, Hero bets 21.93 BB, CO calls 21.93 BB

River: (73.77 BB, 2 players) :KS:
CO checks, Hero???

V is calling F and T. At this point I think his range consists of AJ-AK, T9s, 98s. I don't give him that many AT and and 88 since he would probably raise them against my small flop cbet sizing. The only hand I'm really worried about is QJcc.
When I triple barrel on this river I think the hands I put him on have a pretty tough call to make. I don't think that I have enough SDV here to check. Is this is a good river to triple barrel on? Which rivers would you continue on and why?"

-posted by AceFromSpaceKK
_____

The comment I am having trouble fully understanding:

"You should only unload the clip here (on the river) with flush draws that unblock villains pair and gutshot combinations on the turn, which should in totality be a very small combination of busted flush draws by the river. (This is generally true of all triple barrels with flush draws that brick.)"

_____

I understand busted flush draws are often not the prime candidates for a river barrel because they block some of a folding range.

I am not understanding what is being said here regarding tripple barreling when villains pair and flush draw combinations on the turn are "unblocked".

Would someone give an example of "blocked" and "unblocked" pair plus flush draws on the turn with further explanation of this concept?

Thank you.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well be careful. He said:
    "You should only unload the clip here (on the river) with flush draws that unblock villains pair and gutshot combinations on the turn, which should in totality be a very small combination of busted flush draws by the river.

You said
    I am not understanding what is being said here regarding tripple barreling when villains pair and flush draw combinations on the turn are "unblocked"

In other words, not the same thing.
  • magicpigmagicpig Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited March 9
    Thank you for pointing out my hasty typing:

Let me correct: "pair and gut-shot combinations on the turn"
    ____

I like to learn and there is something I am missing here.. I kind of understand (lol).. but that is not enough.

It would be great to read a few examples with explanation, though.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a bit of a tricky board to apply this reasoning, as what there are, are many pair and open enders which you could unblock and which could go call call fold against your triple, rather than gutters.

But running with the proposal, hands like q10hh or 68ss could defend the flop, pick up equity on the turn, and fold the river. More likely than the pure gutter hands,, a hand like KJcc will call call fold, as will the q9dd.

Barrelling the 65dd, while giving up all the higher flush draws, under these conditions, thus starts to look good.
  • magicpigmagicpig Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    This is a bit of a tricky board to apply this reasoning, as what there are, are many pair and open enders which you could unblock and which could go call call fold against your triple, rather than gutters.

But running with the proposal, hands like q10hh or 68ss could defend the flop, pick up equity on the turn, and fold the river. More likely than the pure gutter hands,, a hand like KJcc will call call fold, as will the q9dd.

Barrelling the 65dd, while giving up all the higher flush draws, under these conditions, thus starts to look good.

Thank you.

Yes, there seemed like so many in that example which I think was confusing me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file