Good 4 bet?

NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
1/2 NL live. Can’t remember but I think all stacks are about $300.

UTG opens for 12. 2 MP callers, button raises to $25. I look down at AJo, think and 4 bet to 75.

Folds around and button shows pocket 4s.

Good play? Or too big bet? $60 may have gotten the same result but at that point in the game I was flopping terrible and was not interested in playing AJo 4-5 handed out of position.

I had also noticed that the BB had 3 bet previously a coupe times with marginal hands.

I was happy to take down the $60 but not sure it was the correct play.

Thanks

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,757 -
    If I was going to make this play I'd size up rather than down, but honestly in most 1/2 games this looks extremely ambitious. Prefer a fold.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MTTheroMTThero Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I agree with the fold. If you 4bet with AJo that is definitely a bluffing range hand. But before I bluff, I like to ask if this is a good spot to bluff? EP open should be fairly tight in theory, in that he should have a premium hand about 25% of the time. And if the button is balanced, he should continue at least 1/2 the time. So even ignoring the 2 MP callers, which theoretically should not be able to call a 4 bet, your fold % would be 75% * 50% = 37.5%. And this is assuming the MP players are folding 100% or have worse hands than AJ if they make an ambitious continue. But in practice, the MP callers can have QQ/JJ/AK some % of the time as it is common in $1/$2 live for players to not 3 bet those, but call instead.

Your breakeven % for a bluff bet that size is $75/($75 + $100) = 43%.

So here, I would not bluff very much at all. I may use the pseudo-balance, but in reality, the linear pseudo-balance might be AK here.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    there are no correct plays in poker

I wouldn't do this in a vacuum where I don't have reads on the players involved which is what your post suggests. As mentioned, usually in live play, villain's ranges in an UTG open, BU 3bet, are going to be very tight

But if I have identified that UTG opens wide, the BU 3bets quite a bit, have the Ace blocker and I feel like having a little fun.. why not

I am incentivized to generate more folds being OOP, I would size my bet up with my entire range to help protect the bluff portion. I think in terms of PSB using the PLO way to calculate

3x25+12= $87. so I would use $75-$100 with my entire range in a situation like this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file