Two Pair on a Monotone Board

gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hey guys. I feel a bit uneasy about this hand because I feel as if there were some better lines to take. Some of the decisions were made out of fear of losing my stack as the other players had me covered. Here's the hand:

I am in the BB with Kh3h. I was only a couple of hands into the session so I know little about the other players' tendencies.
Folds around to SB who calls. I check.

Pot:$.08
Flop: KcTc3c.
SB checks. I bet $.1. SB raises to $.28. I call.

Pot:$.64
Turn: Jd.
SB bets .16. I call.

Pot: $.96
River: 5c.
SB checks. I check.

SB wins with 9c8s.

Should I have raised preflop? With the flop check-raise and a lack of composure, I interpreted SB's range to have mostly flushes. Was this a smart assumption to make? Would it have been better to raise on the turn?
Tagged:

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    Eh K3s is not a great hand, I don't see any reason to raise to try to steal SB's 1 BB. Rather just see a flop here.

On the turn, when you raise, what worse hand is going to call you that raised you on the flop? Did SB call with T3? I doubt it. Don't raise the turn. It turns two pair into a bluff that only folds out hands you're already ahead of.

It is possible that V could take the check/raise line with strong flush draws, sets of 3s, as well as made flushes so to assume that their range is mostly flush draws is not a "mistake" but its missing some other combos that V can reasonably show up with here.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    Eh K3s is not a great hand, I don't see any reason to raise to try to steal SB's 1 BB. Rather just see a flop here.
    K high is very often good at this point. And it's suited. And we have position. And low stakes players tend to play SB very badly (especially by completing too often with too much garbage).

I'd raise this all day long.
    gl523 wrote: »
    Pot:$.08
    Flop: KcTc3c.
    SB checks. I bet $.1. SB raises to $.28. I call.

Overbetting flop is imho not necessary - even counterproductive. Too expensive for V to call with a meh hand - even with a FD it's can be uneasy. And you don't want V only calling with better hands (mostly made flush or a blocked 2P) and always folding worst.

Calling the c-r is clear too, esp if V can think you're bluffing trying to steal the pot by pot betting (this is a common bad habits of bad low stakes players on monotones boards). I'd let down many TP, but 2P+ is definitly a call.
    Pot:$.64
    Turn: Jd.
    SB bets .16. I call.
    After a c-r to a pot bet, V suddenly underbet 0.16 into 0.64. Except if V is able of having an underbet strategy (#doubt), this is a Hero raise with any hands you have as it very often is a scared marginal hand or draw. If it's a draw (like Kx9c or Qc9h), you don't want V to see a cheap river to out-drawn you.
    Pot: $.96
    River: 5c.
    SB checks. I check.
    After a turn underbet and a check on a :CLUB: , we could either:
    - check for showdown value.
    - bet for thin value.
    - bet for bluff.

Personally I'd bet here . If V doesn't like turn / river :CLUB: , it's either a) was bluffing with no :CLUB: or b) has as weak flush (I'd guess with only 1 meh :CLUB: ). Both fearing an ok-ish/good rivered flush.

So I'd bet here because against me either V will overfold and Hero can steal the pot often. Or V will overcall against me (because I'm a maniac/spewy laggy) and I can scratch thin value, which should compensate all the times V does have a flush and won't let go.

Only bad thing by betting K3s for thin value is that we are blocking TP, which is the main target for thin value esp. after a flop pot/c-r . But for me there is still chips to scratch as a laggy/maniac like can profitably thin value bet down to 2nd and sometimes 3rd pair (on more "normal" boards)

But casual advise here for you as meh player / futur TAG would be to check for SDV because K3 blocks KX hands, reducing too strongly your target for thin value. Hero checked preflop, there is also T3 and 33 in his range which fits the bills for thin value better in this spot.

But this is rather secondarily, because this river spot doesn't show up if a) you raise preflop or b) raise turn.
  • MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    My default line would be check pre, bet 1/3rd-1/2 pot on flop, call check raise, call turn, then fold river to a bet or bet pot or 1.5x pot as a bluff on river if checked to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file