when will the bad beats end!

DuecesDueces Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
3 times tonight at $1/2.......

my 3rd hand at the table holding :Ac :Kc on the button
make it $50 to go pre flop after a raise to $15 is called in 2 spots before me. Haven't seen how either play so I wasn't able to consider what they may be calling with.
flop :Ks :Qd :6s
checks to me and I ship it $150~
called by the same 2 callers pre flop.
turn is a brick
river is :Qh
one caller shows KJo. other shows :As :QS:

About 2 hours in on same table with some new players
holding in the SB :Kd :9c
I believe it was a limped pot or even maybe a $6 pre flop raise with 4 callers
Flop :8s :Qd :Tc
UTG leads for $10 and everyone in the hand calls.
Turn :Jd
UTG leads for $20. called in 2 spots before me, I re-raise to $100. UTG folds, MP goes all in for about $85. LJ folds
River :Td
MP turns over :8c :8h "I knew I was ahead on the flop and way behind on the turn but I couldn't fold" he says.

About an hour and a half later
UTG +1 :Jd :9d
I raise it to $12 pre flop and get called by 3 players.
Flop :Td :8d :2d
BB raises to $25. I call, MP calls, CO goes all in for $55.
BB calls, I ship it for $135~ more. MP calls and BB folds.
Turn :2c
River is a brick
CO shows :6d :4d
MP shows :Ts :Tc

Poker is such a love hate game when it comes to beats like these. The K9 hand I probably shouldn't have even played. AK hand I could have played differently but I don't see the AQ guy getting raised off that hand even on the turn but I could have possibly saved money by getting to the river and folding. And the J9 hand is just a cooler for sure.

Comments

• MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Never. They never end, nor should you want them to. Keep getting it in good and you'll be fine. But if the short term variance is effecting your game, I suggest table selecting whenever possible to games with fewer gamblers and more abc players.
  • bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    whats up deuces, yeah its never fun when you get sucked out on. A couple thoughts on your post, for future analysis don't forget to include relevant info like stack sizes if you are looking for more precise feedback.

from what you wrote here are my thoughts though:
    first hand: depending on how many callers you had by the flop, I'd bet a lot more conservatively in a MW pot. Second pair with TK and nut flush draw, I'd probably call too. Even if you had played a better line, it seems he wasn't folding his draw and that river may have been hard to get away from if you checked and he bet.

2nd hand: Definitely a bit of a loose call pre, but the flop was great for you. The turn was even better and you played a great line. He called and hit an out, not much could be done there.

3rd hand: I personally wouldn't open J9s from an early position but I like that you picked a bigger size (6x) because hopefully that will generate more folds. You got a lot of callers though and are now stuck playing a meh hand out of position. However, you get a pretty godly flop, OESFD. However, besides those 8 outs, the hand has RIO because there are other flushes and flush draws that could beat it by the river. CO should not have been going all in with that weak of a flush IMO, and MP lucked into his full house. Better luck next time..
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dueces wrote: »
    Poker is such a love hate game

Yup. There is suffering. If it were all lollipops and daisies, everyone would do it. It helps weed out the wimps and leaves more profit for us, if we can handle the in between times. Sometimes you have to be as tough as a Navy Seal in this game. When I think of it that way, I'd rather endure this though, so maybe I'm the wimp.

The K9 hand I probably shouldn't have even played. AK hand I could have played differently... And the J9 hand is just a cooler for sure.

K9 is a fold for me first 2 decisions. AK hand played itself, all you can do is hope to get in that situation many times in your lifetime. J9 cooler yeah.

• DuecesDueces Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I appreciate all the feed back. its been a crazy last few weeks of ups and downs. Seem to be hitting more coolers than anything but just got to keep chugging along with a strong mental game.
  • Phil EbbsPhil Ebbs Red Chipper Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    @Dueces , just as a heads up, when I first moved from 1/2 to 2/5 live, I had an absolutely abysmal stretch where I lost like 7 straight buy-ins. (my play had more leaks than it does now, but I was definitely running bad.) Losing 7 buy-ins when you just moved up stakes is a horrible feeling.
    I think it does take effort to stay mentally strong and to keep getting it in good. Main thing I would say is this: don't nit up just because you are running bad (unless you have bankroll problems). That was something I had to keep telling myself. Play your best game, and don't be worried about monsters under the bed.

You can probably get away from that K9 hand either preflop or flop, but obviously you are getting stacked once you reach turn. All of your shoves here were totally fine.
  • DuecesDueces Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Phil Ebbs wrote: »
    @Dueces , just as a heads up, when I first moved from 1/2 to 2/5 live, I had an absolutely abysmal stretch where I lost like 7 straight buy-ins. (my play had more leaks than it does now, but I was definitely running bad.) Losing 7 buy-ins when you just moved up stakes is a horrible feeling.
    I think it does take effort to stay mentally strong and to keep getting it in good. Main thing I would say is this: don't nit up just because you are running bad (unless you have bankroll problems). That was something I had to keep telling myself. Play your best game, and don't be worried about monsters under the bed.

I actually moved back to $1/2 from $2/5 when I started red chip and actually studying concepts. I was able to play $2/5 decently but had a lot of leaks I’ve found out as far as value betting, hand reading, right bluff spots, etc. My mental game has improved as a result and so has my play I think. Becoming one of the $1/2 regs, it’s nice to hear “I played with you before. You’re a tough player.” I find a lot more run ins with bad beats in the lower stakes due to a lot of recreational players chasing that one card to the river and catching. Forum finally gives me somewhere to vent and get feedback which is helping me out as well. I appreciate the comment!
  • MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Dropping down a stake was one of the best things I ever did. I'm experimenting so much more, pushing boundaries, finding wins where I wasn't before when the money meant too much to me. It's so great to have someone to go over hands with people who know what they're talking about. My wife is getting pretty sick of my hand recaps!
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I’d never lose if it wasn’t for luck!
    -Phil Hellmuth
    it’s nice to hear “I played with you before. You’re a tough player.”

Nice in a way, but actually I'd prefer they think I'm a standard donkey or at least garden variety, boring small loser.
    I find a lot more run ins with bad beats in the lower stakes due to a lot of recreational players chasing that one card to the river and catching.

That is true of course. You will "get lucky" very much less often than the bad players, because you're always putting your money in good, and they're often putting their money in bad. If you look at it that way, they're the only ones who can get lucky.

• BadMoe99BadMoe99 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    It never ends!

I running 80 % lose 20% win on AA all in pre.
    Last one today. Lose AA all in floped a Set lost to 47o He got straight, lose 200 bb. 3 hands after lose Full house K high to quads 5, I got KKK 55 he got 5555, 200 bb more down the drain.
    Ev- on AAA and KKK. more than 125 000 Hands.
    I get strech off try to hit flushes like 40 -50 tries and you should hit about one of five.
    I was 80% lose to 20 % win on AA hole cards When play pot more than 25bb, now up a bit.
    Basically every 3 AA I get they flop a Triss/set Then some Straight and flushed to.
    So 3 like that is nothing even if I understand it feel like shit.
    Everyone say it will even out, Not shure about that anymore,

Run simulation of AA and Flush situation and can not even come close to what happens to me. 10 000 AA hands in simulation and nothing even under 50% lose/100. Mostly steady hovering around 80% win. Wished I had the money to get pro this month to listen to "Creating a unbeatable mindset" would to need it bad.

But life is Strange. I actually today decide I should stop playing as I can not bet the bad luck, but then when I was as most down, I get this Email from Splitsuit (you probably got the same) "Are You In A Downswing?" with a youtube video from Splitsuit How To Crush POKER SLUMPS
    Talk about life sometimes gives what you need the most in the right time. Many thanks to James for sending this email today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file