Should I have played more aggressively?

dukeroyaldukeroyal Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
https://upswingpoker.com/hand/?pokeit=224eGFasx

1. Should I have just called preflop?
2. These types of hands I always struggle with. I have second pair. Should I have cbet?
3. Bet the blank on the turn or no? He checks again showing no strength?
4. Should I have semi bluffed the river with the front door flush completing?

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Surely not. With position, with a very nice hand and against a limper, it's an easy open to win preflop or at least iso the limper.
    2. You can flop c-bet, but then you're kinda committing yourself to turn c-bet on turn brick (which then can make you bluff too much). I'm fine checking flop for a delayed c-bet, esp. if V is honest and would turn bet KX (which means that V checking turn capps him badly).
    3. MP has to be bet on turn. Good hands to get value and deny equity.
    4. :5S: is one of the worst card as it completes both :SPADE: FD and OESD 87 (but it doesn't really improve any other hands). Betting river may be value-owning ourselves (aka only getting called by better) and makes Hero vulnerable to a bluff c-r (and we don't want to bet/fold with SDV). So I'm totally fine with checking river and realizing the equity.
  • dukeroyaldukeroyal Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Okay, awesome! On #3 you say MP has to be bet on turn. Does this mean middle pair? If it does mean middle pair then you're saying that I was correct in betting the turn so that I get those FD and OESD's to fold?

Thanks for you're reply!
    dukeroyal wrote: »
    Okay, awesome! On #3 you say MP has to be bet on turn. Does this mean middle pair? If it does mean middle pair then you're saying that I was correct in betting the turn so that I get those FD and OESD's to fold?

Thanks for you're reply!

Yes, MP = Middle Pair.
    So yes, I find it totally fine to bet on the turn. It would be way too passive to miss the bet both on flop and turn.

But the aim is not for draw to fold. I mean not exactly.
    Here, I like the definition of "bet" of Janda : to build the pot in case we win and to deny equity. That's exactly what you want to do here : deny equity of hands which still have a consequent equity against MP (esp. draws) and build the pot (in case V calls and the draws don't complete).
    In you look at it, MP is ahead of a FD or OESD. So you don't exactly want (or aim) these worst hands to fold; we want to value bet against them. But on the other hand, we are totally fine to deny their share of equity (30%?) and win the hand on the turn.
  • dukeroyaldukeroyal Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    So if the FD and OESD didn't complete on the river you would have bet for value again?

What cards here would be considered "blanks" or close to?

It seems like there a lot that complete weird straight draws but other than that most cards lower than a 9 that are spades feel pretty good, no?

And lastly, what would call on the turn and the river, that I have beat if the river came a blank? 45s? 78s if the river was a 7 or 8? but not much really?
    Try to answer these yourself and let's discuss your findings

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file