check or bet flop in 3bet pot?

RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited March 12 in Online Poker Hands
ACR .05/.10 6 max

Villain(HJ) eff. stack $10 has been pretty active and had been involved in about 60-65% of hands. Was opening with a wide range from all positions and was flatting from all positions and did not 3 bet at all.

Hero (BTN) covers villain, has also been pretty active, raising strong hands and stealing pots late in position. Hero has 3bet this villain multiple times already due to his wide opening range and he usually folded pre flop or check folded to a flop bet.

Villain($10) raise to .25 in HJ. Hero 3bet to .90 with :8c :9c . Villain calls.

I think villain's 3 bet calling range is very wide here I would assign him something like 22-TTs, ATo-AQo, A2s-AQs, and J8s-KQs.

Heads up to flop ($1.95): :8D: :Jc :6h

Villain checks hero bets $1.

I was very unsure on whether or not to c-bet this flop. I have some showdown value with middle pair but I also wanted to continue the betting lead in order to narrow down my opponents range so I would not be lost later in the hand. If I checked and villain decided to bet turn in the moment I felt that his range could be so wide that I would be lost and it would make it very difficult for me to make profitable decisions on the turn and river. After analyzing my play I think my hand would have been better as a check as I have many more nutted hands like AJs, JJ, QQ, KK, AA I could bet to extract value from worse. Any advice on my flop thought process and decision as well as how to proceed with the hand on future streets would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I like a bet on this flop. It's unlikely to have hit his range hard and while you're good here a lot of the time, he will almost always have decent equity in the hand, which you want to charge him to actualise. Plus, if you check back here, you're giving up your range advantage, which may be vital to you seeing a free showdown.

On flop like this though, with just one picture card and no flush draws in a 3bet pot, you don't have to bet half pot. Maybe something like $.75 instead, which lets you off cheaper those times you're behind, and may actually entice a hand like AQ to chase a pair.
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I think what ultimately convinced me to bet was that I did not want to give up my range advantage and wanted to continue to rep the strongest hands in my range. I have found myself in similar scenarios like this a lot lately where I have a weak/middle pair and a BDFD and have been torn on c-betting the flop or not. I am hesitant to bet here as I feel like if Im betting middle pair with a BDFD I am betting too much of my range and do not have enough hands I can check/call with on later streets. I like the idea of betting around 1/3 pot on this flop as he shouldn't have many nutted hands on this flop and I charge his over cards to see a turn card. Thanks again for your input!
  • MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I think there's a real difference between a hand like TT and your 89clubs. If you bet TT here and get called, you're either ahead or behind, but with very little chance to improve to anything better. With your 89clubs you've got so many ways.

For those reasons, I'd consider adding 77,99,TT, spade broadways and weak Jacks like J9-JQ to your check back range a percentage of the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file