Folding the top of my range

MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
edited March 14 in Live Poker Hands
$1/3 game last night. I'm utg+1 with :AS: :KS: and make it $20 after one limp.

The guy who never folds calls, the girl who rarely folds calls, and the SB calls.

I've not played the SB before tonight, but after about an hour, it's clear that she's a solid, no nonsense, player who I know to be $2/5 reg. Her stack is ~$500 and I have her covered.

Flop comes :8H: :AH: :3D: and the pot is $85.

SB checks and I bet $45. The others fold and the SB calls.

Turn is the :4S: and after she checks again I elect to bet $80 into $175. My read is at that price she'll continue with the pretty much all the aces in her range and her flush draws. The only decent combo draw I can think of is :5h :6h, so I'm not overly concerned I'll be bluff raised off my hand here. While I'm having a hard time giving her credit for any two pair at this point, if she's flopped a set, nows the time I'd expect her to spring her trap, but I also think she's capable of gambling and leaving it to the river since she's playing below her regular stake. I expect her to realise that my range is strongly weighted towards big aces at this point, and with the ace being part of the flush draw on the flop, she shouldn't be too worried about me flushing.

She does call and the river is :TH:

Here's where she open ships ~$375 into $335.

Obviously I hate this spot. Before and long after this hand, I didn't see anything bizarre in her play. No crazy spews or unreasonable calls. She just struck me as super solid. So now I'm behind any flush, a set and AT, but the sizing has me baffled. Why jam it in like that if you want a call? Is she really capable of turning AJ/AQ into a bluff for all the tamales just because the heart came? How often can an unsuited A :KH: be in her range?

But, without any additional information to go on, and considering I block other big aces and don't block anything that beats me, I say, "Nice bet," and make the reluctant fold.

Then I got to thinking, what the hell do I do if I have aces in this spot?

Considering the board, flop and turn action, I'm really struggling to come up with any bluffs in her range by the river. Am I blind? Can you guys see any?

Comments

• BigFarmBigFarm MontrealRed Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Maybe 65 and 76 of diamonds? A stretch but maybe A2s and A5s if she doesn't think she has showdown value?
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    You have one pair. At 175BB stack depth not usually a good idea to stack off with one pair, even TPTK.

Not many bluffs available. If it was me, as villain, I would figure your range here contains a ton of ACES and I would see if you were a typical low stakes player who is unable to let go of an ACE here by making my bet look bluffy

I would just fold and move on

• MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Sully wrote: »
    You have one pair. At 175BB stack depth not usually a good idea to stack off with one pair, even TPTK.

Not many bluffs available. If it was me, as villain, I would figure your range here contains a ton of ACES and I would see if you were a typical low stakes player who is unable to let go of an ACE here by making my bet look bluffy

I would just fold and move on

That was actually the last straw that tipped over the cart. Knowing that she normally plays a higher stake, and that common perception that lower stakes players don't know how to fold, the shove started making more sense.

Heck, she's got a point. I don't know if you read my follow up to my other post with the K3. I shoved and got called for the lot with a naked KJ!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file