Live vs Online

LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
I see this course has a lot of content geared towards live play. I’m sure live $1/$2 is similar to online micros. Question is, is live where the money is?

I’m sure live you’ll find more “gamblers” as opposed to poker players as you will at all levels online.

Should my goal be to move from online to live?

I don’t have a 30 buy in bankroll for live so it wouldn’t be smart for me to go play live right now because I’d be scared to do that all in river play knowing it’s for whatever large percentage of my bankroll.

Best Answers

Answers

• LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I was looking at table stats at $1/$2 6max (only option on site I play on) and I could tell they were pretty much all solid players at every table. Something like 19% see the flop. Avg pot sizes weren’t big. Oh yeah. The same players were spread out over all the tables. It’s probably 3-4 grinders waiting on fish to show up. Doesn’t seem like a profitable plan playing it online. Live may be the better option.

A win rate of 35bb/100 would be awesome. My girlfriend won’t be excited considering I work 50+ hours a week but this is what I want to do. I think about this day and night. I’m tired of playing for $8 pots online. I want to play for real money and hopefully be able to tell my job in 6 months to a year from now I need a lighter schedule because I’m making more playing poker part time. Then maybe 2-3 years from now have a life BR and poker BR to make it so I make my own schedule. Don’t need to become rich. Just don’t want to be on anyone else’s time anymore.

“The Dream!”
  • MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Well, 10bb/h is what the best players in the field are making, but even decent players should easily be able to make half that at $1/2. Once you make the switch for good, you'll be shocked at the level of play you see at the table. I know exactly what you mean about the $8 pots though. Why fight for chump change with people who are probably more studied in the game than you are when you can play for hundred against people who have barely got a clue what they're doing?

My advice for people wanting to make money playing live is always the same though. Keep your day job so you can set aside an affordable of money every week to funnel into your bankroll, then always keep that money separate from your savings and living expenses. That way, as you play, even if you're breaking even for a long period of time, your roll will still gradually continue to grow. I've used this method 4 times now over the years to build rolls big enough to play $2/$5. One of these days I might actually keep going with it instead of having another kid or going to Europe for 2 months, lol!
  • LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    That’s pretty cool poker gives you the money to do that. I invested $100 in to an online poker account September of last year and then work got super slow. I made over $4000 profit grinding $7 and below rebuy MTTs and was able to pay my bills without breaking a sweat. That was great paying bills with poker money but would love to make enough to enjoy life.
  • StangretStangret Kyiv, UkraineRed Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I think it would be wise to accumulate a bank in online poker and practice playing small stakes live and only then move on to live poker if you want,
  • Bernard SilvaBernard Silva Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
    It's 10x easier to become a live pro. If you can beat 5nl 6max on ACR you can easily make 20+ an hour at live 1/2. Also, don't waste your time on live tournaments cash games are more profitable.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    It's 10x easier to become a live pro. If you can beat 5nl 6max on ACR you can easily make 20+ an hour at live 1/2. Also, don't waste your time on live tournaments cash games are more profitable.

Lol!
    If you try to live (being a poker pro) by playing 1/2$ live games, you gonna have a bad time at the end of the month :0)
    Even if you crush the 1/2 games, you can't win $ enough to sustain your bankroll (downswings) and pay your fix costs like rent or food. Fix costs are going to take too much of your winrate in big blinds. Plus taxes, health insurance, etc etc.
    You need to be able to easily* beat 2/5 (also mean having a 2/5 bankroll) to turn pro.

*Also easily doesn't mean 10bb/hour (20$ in 1/2), but more 25+bb/hours without a sweat.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people making a living on much less than $20/hr.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file