Losing $ on the BB

bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
What's up guys. Earlier this week I had a very good day playing poker, making the final table in both a live and online tournament (fields of about 200 and 650 respectively). Reviewing my play, I was ahead in almost every all-in confrontation and had no bad beats. In fact, I think I only lost two or three all-ins, against much smaller stacks, and chopped one pot in which I was behind. I got to apply a lot of big stack pressure, specifically in the last table leading up to the final table in the live tourney which was fun. So most the hands I played were fairly straight forward, with no extremely difficult spots. Here is one hand I'm curious to see how other people would have played:

It is from the final table of the online tourney. I am in the chip lead on the BB and am really just interested in winning as opposed to outlasting the other 4 remaining players.

Preflop: 2k/4k 500 ante
Action folds to Villain (200.5k) on SB who completes. BB (219k) checks option.
:5h :Td
This is a hand I likely would have 3-bet bluff against any of the other players at the table who all had <40k, but against the other big stack I would rather pot control, especially since he plays loose, 33/24 over 70 hands.

Flop: ($10.5k) :7s :Tc :Qc
V checks to me and I bet half pot. My thinking here is I have pretty low equity preflop, even against a small blind limping range and actually managed to hit the flop. He checked again so with middle pair there is a decent chance I am ahead here. I don't want to bet too large in case I am not, but am protecting against his weakest holdings on a wet board. V calls.

Turn: ($21.3k) :7s :Tc :Qc :2c
V checks and I check behind. This is where I think I made a mistake. From the SB starting range, I think he only would have continued with any Qx, Tx, 7x, or straight/flush draw from my flop bet. By checking on a third club, I would say it is highly unlikely he has a flush draw here, except possibly a very weak one. Since I bet in position on the flop I could very reasonably rep a flush here, and another half pot bet wouldn't have cost me that much to do so. I would then likely fold out any pair below Q, and even some Qx holdings. Most straight drawing hands would probably fold here too.

River: ($21.3k) :7s :Tc :Qc :2c :Jc
V leads out for 25% pot and I call. V shows :Qd :3d
After missing the bluff opportunity on the turn I know the best line here would have been to fold my middle pair but decided I wanted information on his holding since it was cheap and I would likely end up playing this player heads up (which I did not much later).

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,066 -
    I think I prefer a small turn bet then check back river. As played I think your rationale for making the river call is... I dunno, I guess it's cheap info but how useful is it really? Also if it's online is it a site where V gets to see your mucked cards? If so I think he learns more than you do.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Thanks Kat, no I have my setting to auto-muck. So as long as I don't raise and lose, he will not see my cards on a call.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,066 -
    bmat66 wrote: »
    Thanks Kat, no I have my setting to auto-muck. So as long as I don't raise and lose, he will not see my cards on a call.

Good policy.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Keith BrandtKeith Brandt Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    What do you guys think of the option of raising that blockish river bet to about 40% pot? Force V to make a hero call.
  • bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Hi Keith, just seeing your post. I liked Kat's advice. I think if I had continued betting the turn and he called, then bet the river, raising as per your suggestion could definitely be a strong line, as it would most likely fold out any Qx holdings like the one he had, and even weak flushes. That being said, if he called a turn bet, I would have put him on a flush and probably would not have been able to pull the trigger for such a big bluff, leaving myself very short if he calls, with two players who were already so short.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file