cooler??? could it be played differently??? i thought a lot but couldnt avoid this spot today.

Onix1708Onix1708 Pune, IndiaRed Chipper Posts: 99 ✭✭
mostly Loose passive game pre.
Stakes 5/10 (Indian rupees)
5 handed
stacks:
MP 511
CO 1175
BTN 1186
SB (Hero) 520
BB (V) 710
Action Preflop:
Hero has :QS: :JS: on sb
mp raises 30
co calls 30
btn calls 30
sb calls 25
bb calls 20

Flop :7S: :8S: :4S:
pot 150
Hero checks
V Checks
MP checks
Co Checks
Btn Checks

turn :JD:
pot 150
Hero bets 99
V calls 99
rest fold

river :7D:
pot 348
Hero bets 230
V Jams 581
Hero calls 161

Villian Shows :AS: :2S:
Villain wins 1320

Is this standard cooler??? Could it be avoided??? should bet sizing be any different???
i could not think of a way to avoid stacking off here.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,021 -
    At that SPR you're destined to get stacked; the only question is precisely how.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Onix1708Onix1708 Pune, IndiaRed Chipper Posts: 99 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    At that SPR you're destined to get stacked; the only question is precisely how.

So does that make it a fold pre??? or should i buy in higher??
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,021 -
    I think with three in ahead of you and the likelihood the BB comes along a preflop call is fine. How deep you buy-in for depends on your overall strategy and shouldn't be based on the outcome of this hand.
    Moderation In Moderation
    I think with three in ahead of you and the likelihood the BB comes along a preflop call is fine. How deep you buy-in for depends on your overall strategy and shouldn't be based on the outcome of this hand.

I generally tend to buy in 50 bb deep in such games as avg stack is around that.
    also i get double up soon enough to get to 100 bb game. if there are 100 bb+ stacks, i buy in for 100 bb.

my thought process with call was such:
    OJs has good multi way potential. 3 bet may not fold out as game is loose. if called on 3 bet, QJ is difficult to play OOP.
  • LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited March 22
    Only the best NLHE players can get away from that but at that stack and pot size I can’t imagine when it’s not a stack off.

I was in a similar situation with JThh in the BB. I can proudly say I got away from it and villain showed A9hh.

It was different because it was a tourney and after the rebuy period ended and the player showed no real bluff tendencies. Also stacks were deeper. He had to of had a better hand. He wasn’t calling my bets with a bluff (for the record I wasn’t checking back, I was betting in to him with a worse hand). When he reraises the turn I let it go. So glad he showed because I would of always wondered if I made the right lay down.

In that situations stacks were deeper. I had that flexibility. I wasn’t committed.

Unless I’m only seeing your losing hands in the hand history or you are having a really bad run. I would play deeper and make exploitative folds when it’s called for. 50bbs deep you are committed in most of these situations. I’d rethink that strategy. If you have a bad run 100bbs deep you can justify folds in some of these spots. You’re still not winning but you aren’t losing stacks because you are SPR committed.
    thank you for insight @Lagtard

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file