Why do we defend from the BB again?

Leath WLeath W Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
Obviously the answer is to minimize losses and discourage opponents in late position from stealing our blinds.
But recently I thought of something that confused me. I read an article over at Upswing Poker about reacting to 3-Bets and they mentioned the importance of position, along with a picture that pretty much all people here are likely familiar with:

Untitled-1.jpg

It's evident that the most money lost is in the BB and the win rate would definitely get a boost if you could minimize that some more. Now I don't have a sample size yet that would allow me to compare this data, but I'm assuming this picture is from a competent player, likely the author of the article.

You can see that in the BB he loses about 29 bb / 100 hands.
Doesn't that mean that he'd be better off not defending at all, since in a 6-Max game, you'd be in the BB around 17 times / 100 hands and thus only lose 17 bb, boosting his win rate in the BB by 12 bb / 100 hands? In a full-ring game you'd only lose about 11 bb / 100.
That is, if you don't defend at all. If you were to defend with your best hands and some good playable cards like SC for board coverage, along with some bluffs for balance, surely you could minimize your losses even further, but the strategy of defending very wide because you often get a good price with 1 bb already invested doesn't seem to pay off in my mind.

Am I missing something? Or does your win rate in the BB look more profitable than the data in this image?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,270 -
    From that data he's in the big blind closer to one time in 5 (note the low # of EP hands). So that would still support your idea that never defending is preferable. Do we know if "bb" here is actual big blinds, tho. I seem to recall there was an oddity with PT stemming from the LHE days when it quoted "big bets."
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭
    You do play a TON of hands OOP.
    I'm a pure live player, but doesn't it shock anybody that there are almost as many hands played BB and SB as BU - even more than any other position outside BU??
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All decisions are ultimately measured through Expected Value. It's not perfect, because it's really just an estimate which relies on the quality of its inputs.

So, if the EV of VPIPing from the blinds is by one player's strategy is a losing one, whether historically or theoretically, compared to folding, of course he has a problem to deal with.

The confusing word that has thrown many players for a loop is Defense. This stems from a macro theory of how the game works, but is not always the most useful tool.
  • DPokerTDPokerT Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    You are misreading the table. The -29.18 BB/100 is calculated based upon hands played from the BB only. If you folded all hands from BB, your winrate in that position would be -100 BB/100
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,270 -
    DPokerT wrote: »
    You are misreading the table. The -29.18 BB/100 is calculated based upon hands played from the BB only. If you folded all hands from BB, your winrate in that position would be -100 BB/100

Aha!
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Leath WLeath W Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
    DPokerT wrote: »

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file