good river bluff opportunity or just spewy?

RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited March 22 in Online Poker Hands
ACR $10NL 6max

This is hero's first hand and I had just posted my big blind.
Eff. stack: hero ($9.90)

Cutoff opens to .28 and hero calls in BB with :As :9s

pot(0.61): flop comes :9c :4h :6d

Hero checks villain bets .28 hero calls.

turn($1.17): :8s hero checks villain bets .56 hero calls.

river($2.29): :Th hero leads for $1.85 villain tank calls.

I thought the flop and turn were standard calls. When the river comes a T I think this card is way better for my range and is a good bluffing opportunity. I should have way more 7x in my range than villain should. I can check call flop and turn with 77, 75, 76,78,79 while I do not see villain betting flop and turn with any of these even though they are in his opening range. I thought by leading the river I could get most overpairs and some two pair combos like 98, 86, T9, 64 to fold. I know I should probably wait longer to develop some reads on my opponents before running a bluff but I thought the run out was a good opportunity. Please let me know what you think about my decisions throughout the hand. Thanks!

Comments

• LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Not the worst idea in the world. If I were gonna do it I’d overbet the pot. You hit the nail on the head though. Depends on my opponent. Especially at 10nl.

You should easily had 97s, 87s, A7s, 77, also 44, 66, 99 in your range. If I pull a bluff like this it is usually after having an overbet with the nuts called previously and vs someone I know isn’t a station.
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Thanks for your input. I tried to pick a decently large sizing but I like your idea of overbetting in these spots. I was a little hesitant to go for it as it was my first hand but I thought the run out was too good to pass up. I also didn't think he would double barrel with hands like 77, 78s, 75s and there are only 2 combos of 79s so I was pretty confident that he did not have a 7 and my line would look like I rivered the straight.
  • DPokerTDPokerT Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I would consider 3 betting pre-flop in this spot.
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    If it wasn't my first hand at the table I would have considered it. Typically I like to 3bet A2s-A5s vs late position opens as well as some suited broadways and suited connectors. Big blind play is definitely a weak point of mine though and I have just recently started defending more b/c I was drastically over folding from the BB. I think my fear of playing a wide range from OOP has been a pretty big leak for me. Besides pot odds and position/opening ranges what should I be considering to have a better clue as to when to defend and when not to?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file