Boat on river - Call or Raise

FloptimalFloptimal Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hello everyone, it's my first hand share here - not sure what the best play on river is here can't think of any value hands that call a raise, but seems super nitty to just call with such a hidden boat....

NL 1/3 300 Max

Villain who has shown to be TAG to LAG. Seems solid but transparent. A winning player in a soft room. Have seen some odd bluffs from him from time to time (c-r all in on 8d4d2d with Kc9s stood out, but also seen similar lines with nutted hands).

H is $1200 eff with V

Two Limpers to Hero in HJ with JcJd. Hero Raise to $20.

SB Call 20 Villain (BB) Call 20, one limper calls

Pot: $80

Flop KhQh3d

Action checks thru

Pot: $80

Turn: Kc

checks to H. I’m thinking that I should have heard from a King from someone at this point, and more than likely a Q as well. Decide to bet small to get value from smaller pairs and possible flush draws.

H bet $25
Folds to V

V raise to $65 - i’ve seen him make similar plays with air/draws previously. I think it’s got to be a King or air here, and a King is going to be flatting for deception a decent amount of time. Plan is to flat and call down most rivers.

H: Call

Pot: $215

River: J
V: bet $135
H: ?

Question is in this spot, is it better to call or raise? I know I have a very disguised boat, but the only value hand I can see him calling with is KT maybe. Is this an ‘i’m only getting called by better’ situation?

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Was the last Jack the Jack of hearts? Because if the draw got there, this is a much different story than if it did not. I'm assuming it was the :Js: based on your commentary because if the draw got there, we can get value from a host of other holdings, especially vs a V we have known to be x/r draws.
  • cxy123cxy123 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Would V play AK passively preflop? I could see AThh and T9hh playing this like this.

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Floptimal wrote: »
    Villain who has shown to be TAG to LAG. Seems solid but transparent. A winning player in a soft room. Have seen some odd bluffs from him from time to time
    lol... This description really means nothing to me. Too much contradictions for me to get an idea on how he would play.

• jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    "lol... This description really means nothing to me. Too much contradictions for me to get an idea on how he would play."
    Player sometimes bets, but also occasionally checks. Have confirmed he does indeed win, but also have seen him lose. Usually has two cards, unless he has folded, in which case he doesn't appear to have any cards.
  • adamzerneradamzerner Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I mostly play online at NL20 but just got finished playing about 25 hours of 1/2 this week. One thing I noticed is how frequently people slowplay. Not only nutted hands, but good pairs they should be betting as well. So on the turn when we're so multiway, I'd say there's a decent chance someone's got you beat and prefer a check. Especially since you aren't gaining too much by protecting your equity with just one card to come.

Once he raises you on the turn, I agree with the call. You have about 4:1 pot odds. I'd think that weaker kings are just calling here, and bigger kings aren't limping preflop. KK and QQ are also raising pre of course, so 33 is really the only plausible value hand he could have, and that really should be discounted because of the checking (because V is more of a solid player, I wouldn't expect as much slowplaying).

River feels tricky to me. I wouldn't be expecting this guy to be following up with a bluff too often, but there also aren't many value hands he should have. What's more likely - him following up with a busted draw, or him deciding to play a king this slowly? I'm not sure. I think I'd just call. If you raise, I'm not even sure that something like K5 is calling, as they fear bigger kings as well as straights and boats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file