Folding Queens

bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
What's up guys, here is a hand I think I played poorly yesterday. Hoping to get some thoughts on the line taken. It was from a freeroll tournament where the top 10% move on to the next step (usually a little over a 100 out of 1000 entries). Because people play pretty loose and maniaclly, my strategy is usually as follows: play LAG in the very early stages to double or triple up. If I don't bust, I can usually play extremely tightly, or even sit out whilst doing other things, and come back and play a few hands close to the money , steal from short stacked blinds, etc and make it in the top 10%.

I did this yesterday and came back to play within 50 eliminations of the money. I wake up with :Qs :Qc on the button, and am somewhere in the top 50 chip stacks of the <200 players remaining.

Preflop: Blinds 500/1000 w/ 875 dead money in pot. UTG limps in. UTG is a suspect player who limps just over 50% of hands and never raises in. UTG has me covered, with just over 35k left after limping. Action folds to me (34.7k) and I raise to 3.2k. Blinds fold, limper calls.

Flop: (8.7k) :6c :3h :7h
Villain leads for 2k. I raise it to 8.4k. Villain thinks before calling.

I think this raise could have been a mistake. It is difficult to range this opponent since he plays so many hands and raises none. The only read I have is that he usually checks if he does not hit the board. Because he limped from UTG I doubt he made a pair with this board, though trips are in his range. Likewise I doubt he made a straight draw, but a flush draw is quite possible. My thinking was with such a wet board to put him to the test right away. I likely have the better hand now, but could easily be sucked out on.

Turn: (25.5k) :6c :3h :7h :9h
Villain checks, and I check behind.

I think one of my leaks is not continuting on turns when betting/raising the flop, and I would say that shows here. Checking behind is very weak here. I suppose I opted for this line since obviously any heart hands got there, and I was hoping he would fold to the raise while I was more sure I was ahead.

River: (25.5k) :6c :3h :7h :9h :8c
Villain jams and I fold. Don't see much else I could do at this point. I'm still able to make it in the top 10% with my remaining stack, not worth calling off and being out.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,285 -
    I'd probably raise slightly bigger pre and just call flop. With the tournament pay-out structure and situation you really don't want to commit extra chips to the pot by raising flop.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I'd probably fold the river too. I like the check back on the turn. V could be bubble pressuring here but that board is way too coordinated for a one pair holding.

V appears to be all over that board with his range.
  • bmat66bmat66 Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree @uglytuna that board is way too coordinated for just one pair. @TheGameKat would you raise this flop with 2 pair or better? I think I remember you saying I should have raised larger preflop on another hand I posted, and the reason I typically don't is I try to be pretty consistent with my preflop raise sizing. I suppose getting closer to the money in an MTT a larger raise that results in all folds preflop isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,285 -
    bmat66 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree @uglytuna that board is way too coordinated for just one pair. @TheGameKat would you raise this flop with 2 pair or better? I think I remember you saying I should have raised larger preflop on another hand I posted, and the reason I typically don't is I try to be pretty consistent with my preflop raise sizing. I suppose getting closer to the money in an MTT a larger raise that results in all folds preflop isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Given the action and position of V, yeah I'd raise flop with 2-pr+. 3.2x over a limper at 35bb is fine, but I'd typically shade a bit bigger to discourage the blinds from coming along. Also, we're pretty certain to get called by UTG and with position are favorite to win the pot, so I don't mind charging UTG a bit more for the privilege of losing to us.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file