Was It Reasonable to Think of Triple Barrel Bluffing?

gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
$.02/.04 Online 6 Players
Effective Stack: $2.86

Hero is in SB with :7C: :7H: .

HJ limps. Hero raises to $.2. HJ calls.

Pot: $.44
Flop: :AS: :QC: :4H:
Hero bets $.27. HJ calls.

Pot: $.98
Turn: :QS:
Hero bets $.60. HJ calls.

Pot: $2.18
River: :3S:
Hero checks. HJ checks.
HJ shows :AH: :6D:.

So I realized that I didn't need to bet so much in order to bluff after the session was over. I chose to double barrel because the Ace and Queen were good for my range. I stopped on the river because I perceived that Villain had a hand and that there was no way that I would have got Villain to fold it. Was this a good time to do a triple barrel bluff? If not, when is a good time to do so?
Tagged:

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    I think a mistake in this hand is your assumption the Q on the turn is good for your range, but it's probably better for villain.

1. It reduces your QQ and AQ combos which are probably the only Qx combos you are c-betting flop with.

2. Villain can have all Qx he decides to limp-call with (assuming he doesn't fold flop with them).

Give up on turn, hope to get to showdown for free
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    You guys have to stop with this fetish for triple barrels, especially at 2NL and 4NL. You're looking for spots to say "hey, look - I tbb'f villain!" when you simply should be recognizing when the opportunity for a profitable one has presented itself. However often that occurs. You don't *look* to make these beautiful plays you see. You recognize when they're appropriate. If villain isn't going to fold to your sizing or to any sizing, the bluff won't ultimately be profitable. There needs to be legitimate fold equity and ideally, you'll be semi bluffing so you still have backdoor outs to hit.

There are games where it wouldn't make sense to bluff much if at all. There are other games where you can bluff 30bb pots with impunity. You do what's profitable, whatever that may be.
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I think a mistake in this hand is your assumption the Q on the turn is good for your range, but it's probably better for villain.

Or that villain has any idea whatsoever what a range is, let alone how a turn Q effects both his and villain's.
  • gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Joseph F wrote: »
    You guys have to stop with this fetish for triple barrels, especially at 2NL and 4NL. You're looking for spots to say "hey, look - I tbb'f villain!" when you simply should be recognizing when the opportunity for a profitable one has presented itself. However often that occurs. You don't *look* to make these beautiful plays you see. You recognize when they're appropriate. If villain isn't going to fold to your sizing or to any sizing, the bluff won't ultimately be profitable. There needs to be legitimate fold equity and ideally, you'll be semi bluffing so you still have backdoor outs to hit.

There are games where it wouldn't make sense to bluff much if at all. There are other games where you can bluff 30bb pots with impunity. You do what's profitable, whatever that may be.

So does it make much sense to bluff in 4 NL? Or is it sufficient just to be a tight aggressive nit? I noticed that I get better results by just being a TAG nit but I notice that my skills don't improve by doing so since it is very repetitive and I am not forced to think as much. Since the worst is losing 4 bucks, I am focusing on trying to hone my skills rather than trying to earn cash since one could earn more money working at McDonalds than on micro-stakes.
  • gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Joseph F wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Or that villain has any idea whatsoever what a range is, let alone how a turn Q effects both his and villain's.

Is that common for Villain at these stakes? How does one know if someone knows what a range is when playing online?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    One doesn't need to know what a word means to do something. Everyone plays a range of some sort; everyone is a "thinking player" of some sort.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file