check or bet turn with top set?

RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
ACR $5 NL 6 max
Hero has been only been playing for about 10-15 minutes and has been fairly active. Villain has a huge stack and covers everyone at the table and has been very active in the short time I have been at the table. He has played about 65% of hands and is limp calling most of them.

Hero is eff. stack starting with $6.63 in the BB.

Villain (BTN) raises to .20 hero calls in BB with :Tc :Td

Flop($0.40): :Th :4c :5c . Villain bets .20 hero raises to .90 villain calls.

Turn($2.20): :6c . Hero bets $1.40 Villain calls.

River($5.00): :3c Hero checks, Villain checks

Preflop:
Villain definitely seems kind of spewy but I don't have much info on him and this was the first time I had seen him open raise and he made it 4x which was larger than most people at the table were opening for. I wasn't sure if he was just spewing off or raised 4x because he had a monster so I just called in the BB. With more information I would have considered 3 betting.

Flop: Villain bets half pot pretty quickly on a draw heavy board. I'm not sure this villain is thinking about board textures and ranges so I think he is betting all overpairs, all top pairs, sets, two pair and flush draws here. I have top set and want to build the pot and make him pay with his drawing hands so I raise to $0.90. When he quickly calls my raise I put him on a range of A2cc, A3cc, A6cc-AKcc with ATss, 54cc, 76-98cc, T9ss, KQcc-K9cc, QJcc-Q9cc and J9cc with KTss, QTss and JTss as well as JJ-AA and all off suit combos of JT-AT with the T of :spade.

Turn: :6c Not a card I wanted to see as it brings in a lot of his flush draws as well as 78. In the moment I decided to bet the turn because I thought he has a ton of overpairs and top pairs with a club in them that I should be charging to see the river. I don't think I have to worry about getting raised here because a lot of my check raising range on the flop contains club draws so I do not think a lot of his club combos that get there on the turn will raise me as they may be up against a higher flush. After running it through poker cruncher I determined that he gets to the turn with 66 combos, the vast majority being top pairs and overpairs so I do like my bet here.

River: 3c When the 4th club hits I plan on check folding as now all his top pair combos with a club get there and I don't think he is value betting worse than a flush on this board.

I think my thought process was solid throughout the hand and after running it through poker cruncher I like the way I played it. Any thoughts on bet sizing or any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Also sorry for a pretty lengthy post but thanks!

Comments

• MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I'm betting turn and check calling river.
  • DPokerTDPokerT Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Why not 3 bet preflop for value against a wide btn opening range?
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @MichaelB what is your thought process behind calling a bet on the river? I don't think he bets any of his overpairs/top pairs without a decent :club or any of his sets or two pairs here.
    @DPokerT I had very little information on the villain as I had only been playing a very short time. I played about 2 hours with him and he turned out to be a complete maniac so I wish I had 3 bet him as I gave him way too much credit for a strong hand with his 4x open.
  • MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    RyanH1995 wrote: »
    @MichaelB what is your thought process behind calling a bet on the river? I don't think he bets any of his overpairs/top pairs without a decent :club or any of his sets or two pairs here.

I didn't even notice you didn't 3bet. This is a 3bet, like 90%+, but given he's loose, I'd bump that up to 100%.

As for the river call, your hand is too good to fold. If you fold to a bet here every time, you're folding too much. Yes, he'll check behind overpairs and top pairs, but will he check behind pairs under that? A straight? An 8 or 9 high flush? An airball? Four to a straight and a four card flush when checked to is like an autobet for many players, myself included. If he rivered a better flush than you, just pay him his money.
    @MichaelB I was so focused on the runout that I forgot I had the :Tc when I asked you that question. Makes perfect sense now and I agree when I check on the river I look pretty weak and most players at these stakes will bet just hoping to steal the pot. The guy ended up having :Jc :Ts so his 4x open did not indicate he had a monster and I started 3 betting this guy a lot after this hand and seeing how loose he was. He even check raised a guy on an all :club flop with :Kh :Qd later in the session.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file