I have the pot odds and equity to call this correct? How does ICM factor in?

ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited April 6 in Tournament Poker Hands
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $100(BB)
BTN ($1813) [VPIP: 21.9% | PFR: 18% | AGG: 15.8% | 3-Bet: 8.9% | Hands: 132]
SB ($1889) [VPIP: 10.9% | PFR: 7.8% | AGG: 22.2% | 3-Bet: 3.6% | Hands: 65]
HERO ($3248) [VPIP: 31.4% | PFR: 18.1% | AGG: 35.1% | 3-Bet: 8.2% | Hands: 3433]
UTG ($2942) [VPIP: 22% | PFR: 18.4% | AGG: 33.8% | 3-Bet: 10.7% | Hands: 247]
HJ ($1627) [VPIP: 37.9% | PFR: 25.9% | AGG: 21.6% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 60]
CO ($1981) [VPIP: 26.5% | PFR: 11.5% | AGG: 26.7% | 3-Bet: 1.9% | Hands: 127]

Dealt to Hero: :7H: :TH:
UTG Raises To $225, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, HERO Calls $125

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.43 effective]
Flop ($500): :6H: :2S: :JH: HERO Checks, UTG Bets $250 (Rem. Stack: 2467), HERO Raises To $750 (Rem. Stack: 2273), UTG Calls $500 (Rem. Stack: 1967)

Turn ($2000): :6H: :2s :JH: :9D:
HERO Bets $500 (Rem. Stack: 1773), UTG Raises To $1967 (allin), HERO Calls $1467 (Rem. Stack: 306)
River ($5934): :6H: :2S: :JH: :9D: :AH:

UTG shows: :JD: :KH:
HERO wins: $5934

This hand driven to you directly from DriveHUD Poker HUD & Database
Board: 6h 2s Jh 9d Xx

Equity Win Tie Hand Range

25% 25% 0% [ 7hTh ]

75% 75% 0% [ JdKh ]

EV was +$17 so that is above break even. So it is a profitable call correct? I don't understand ICM well though. Does it change anything?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,285 -
    edited April 6
    If this is a 6-max SNG paying top 2, it's technically ICM that may make this a preflop fold. What are you using to calculate EV here and at what point in the hand? Just the equity on the call?
    Moderation In Moderation
    edited April 6
    If the latter, you can use this calculator to look at your equity gain/loss with ICM factored in. The effect should be relatively weak if you're 4 from the money, plus as noted I think the critical decisions occur earlier in the hand.

https://www.holdemresources.net/icmcalculator
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited April 6
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    If this is a 6-max SNG paying top 2, it's technically ICM that may make this a preflop fold. What are you using to calculate EV here and at what point in the hand? Just the equity on the call?

It was a 9max SnG.

I used the EV calculator for the turn call. (During review, just calculated pot odds in my head on the spot)

I defended the BB with the T7s.

This defend was very villain dependent. It was a fit or fold spot. This villain is very aggressive when he connects with the flop. I had notes on him about isolating with A7o from EP. so if I could flop strong with a suited connected hand I could probably get the implied odds I need.

The part I wasn’t sure on was ICM. I don’t have a good grasp of it. I understand chips lost are more valuable than chips gained so it is a wide defend but should ICM deter me from defending wide in a fit or fold manner when I have a read on someone as I did in this case?
    It's pretty hard to use ICM explicitly for preflop decisions beyond the mantra of playing super tight. You also typically want to be the aggressor, so I'm just not keen on playing a suited 2-gapper OOP in a lowish SPR situation.

One thing you can do with that calculator is calculate 1) your $EV if you fold; 2) your $EV if you call and stack your opponent; 3) your $EV if you get all-in vs this V and lose. It illustrates the chips gained/chips lost thing.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file